|Turkey and Black Bean Tamale Pie|
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil a 9x13 baking dish.
2) In a large saucepan, heat oil and add the onion and minced pepper and cook, stirring often, until the onion is golden - ~4 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant - ~1 minute. Sprinkle with the flour and chile powder and stir until the vegetables are coated.
3) Gradually stir in the stock, then the tomato sauce and dash of salt. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring often to avoid scorching, until sauce thickens - ~5 minutes. Stir in the turkey, black beans and corn and blend well. Pour into baking dish.
4) In a separate medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil over high heat. In a small bowl, whisk the cornmeal with 1 1/2 cups cold water. Whisk into the boiling water and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is boiling and thick, about 1 minute. Spread over turkey mixture as smoothly as possible. ***NOTE: I would use at least another 1/2 cup of cornmeal - it barely covered the turkey mixture at only 1 1/2 cups.*** Sprinkle with the cheese, if using.
5) Bake until the turkey mixture is bubbling - ~30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
From: A book called Thanksgiving 101
[ FRESH & DRIED CHILES ]  [ CHILE SEEDS ]  [ RESTAURANT REVIEWS ]
Copyright 1997 - 2001
10153 1/2 Riverside Dr. #459
Toluca Lake, California 91602
323 * 578-5603