|Enchiladas in Pumpkin Seed-Chile Sauce|
This reliable enchilada recipe doesn't require any time consuming procedures. The toasted pumpkin seeds give the sauce a delicious flavor as well as a boost in protein. Use the dark green, hulled pumpkin seeds that are available in whole-foods stores and some Latin American markets.Sauce: Filling: 8 large flour tortillas
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the bell and jalapeno peppers on a baking sheet, and bake them for 15 minutes or until they are blistered and soft. Let them cool.
2. Make the filling: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, and saute them for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. add the garlic, cabbage, cumin, and coriander. Saute, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat. When the mixture has cooled, stir in the cilantro, farmer's cheese (or ricotta or goat cheese), and the salt and pepper.
3. When the peppers have cooled remove the skins with your fingers. Chop the peppers coarsely.
4. Make the sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Saute the onion, garlic, and tomatillos until they are soft,about 5 minutes. Add the ground coriander, and saute 2 minutes more. Transfer this mixture to a blender or food processor. Add the chopped peppers (jalapeno seeds included, if you want heat), all but 1 tablespoon of the pumpkin seeds, and the water. Blend the sauce until it is almost smooth. Add the salt and pepper.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread 1/3 cup filling down the middle of a flour tortilla.
Roll the tortilla tightly, folding in the sides as you roll. Place the rolled tortilla in a 9-by-13-inch casserole pan. Do the same with the remaining seven tortillas, using all of the
filling. Pour the sauce over the filled tortillas, and then cover the dish with foil.
Bake the enchiladas for 25 minutes. Serve the enchiladas garnished with the remaining pumpkin seeds.
[ FRESH & DRIED CHILES ]  [ CHILE SEEDS ]  [ RESTAURANT REVIEWS ]
Copyright 1996 - 2004
10153 1/2 Riverside Dr. #459
Toluca Lake, California 91602