Pork and Hominy Stew (Posole)|
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add pork and sauté until brown and crisp, about 9 minutes. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is tender, about 8 minutes. Mix in chili powder and oregano; stir 1 minute. Add broth, then hominy with its juices. Reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered until pork is tender, about 40 minutes. Mix in cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve.
If you have the time, let the soup simmer for an additional hour or so. Is better the next day.
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 3/4 pounds boneless country-style spareribs or pork shoulder butt, trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon hot Mexican-style chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mexican oregano
- 5 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 2 16 ounce cans golden hominy
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro