Teriyaki sauce is typically known to be a Japanese condiment but is not eaten much in Japan itself. It is said to have been created in Hawaii by Japanese immigrants that migrated to Hawaii in the 17th century.
They mixed ingredients that were easy to obtain such as soy sauce and pineapple juice together, later forming what is now known as teriyaki sauce.
With its sweet and salty flavor and gooey texture, teriyaki sauce is great to add to dishes such as grilled chicken, tofu, salmon and more. It is now often made with sugar, mirin, sake and soy sauce and sometimes garlic and ginger for an added kick.
The best pick is the Soy Vay Marinade & Sauce. This is an award-winning sauce that is not only versatile in the kitchen at home.
This sauce is Kosher and free from preservatives, doesn't contain high-fructose corn syrup and is packed with delicious flavours.
The best budget is the Kikkoman Gluten-free Teriyaki Sauce. Kikkoman is a staple in many homes around America and has many different types of sauces that cater to specific needs.
This sauce is made with rice instead of wheat and is packaged in glass which is more environmentally friendly than plastic packaging.
Top Picks Store-Bought Teriyaki Sauces
1. Soy Vay Marinade & Sauce, Veri Veri Teriyaki
The first product in our list is the award-winning teriyaki sauce by Soy Vay. Made without preservatives, high-fructose corn syrup and is kosher, this teriyaki sauce is ideal for those who own a restaurant or cooking business.
Soy Vay provides a healthy and authentic option that complements all meaty dishes, and those which have a lot of tofu and/or vegetables in them.
This teriyaki sauce is made with sesame oil, soy sauce, onion, garlic, ginger and toasted sesame seeds. In each serving - which is around a tablespoon - this sauce comes at 45 calories and 590mg of sodium, which are both great if you are wary of weight gain and your health.In terms of sugar, this sauce contains 7g of sugar which offers a slightly more savoury sauce. As the daily recommended intake of sugar for men is 37 grams and 25 grams for women, this product is rather low in the amount of sugar it contains per serving.
2. Kikkoman Gluten-Free Teriyaki Sauce
This teriyaki sauce is unique as it is made with rice instead of wheat, making it a fantastic option for those who have celiac disease and must follow a gluten-free diet.
As it can be used before, during or even after cooking and can be used both as a dipping sauce and a marinade, this sauce is a versatile option that offers a slightly sweet flavour to your meals.
Made from sugar, soy sauce, wine, vinegar, onion and garlic powder, Kikkoman offers a tasty but not overpowering teriyaki sauce that could be added to many different types of meals. It also includes succinic acid which can control the acidity of the sauce and has no preservatives.With 620g of sodium per serving and only 15 calories, this is another great teriyaki sauce option if you are conscious of your weight and health. It also only has 3g of sugar so you can enjoy this sauce without any guilt.
3. Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos Teriyaki Sauce
Not only is this product gluten-free, but it is also free from soy, low in sodium, organic, suitable for vegans and has no GMOs in it.
Made by mixing Coconut Secret's Coconut Aminos with spices, this product is great to use as a dipping sauce, to marinate meat and fish and to glaze over vegetables and stir-frys for extra flavour.
Coconut Secret believe that to use fewer ingredients to keep foods simple is the best way to go. By doing this, they ensure that preservatives and artificial flavourings aren't used in their products so that they can be as healthy as possible.
Don't worry about this teriyaki sauce having a coconut flavour, however, as the sap is taken from the tree rather than the coconut fruit itself, ensuring that the sauce doesn't taste like coconuts.
Another unique quality about this product is its use if coconut sap which contains many minerals, vitamins and amino acids which are fantastic for health. There are 30 calories per serving, 280mg of sodium and 6g of sugar - making this sauce a great healthy option.
4. Mr Yoshida's Original Sweet Teriyaki Gourmet Marinade & Cooking Sauce
Next up is Mr Yoshida's Original Sweet Teriyaki Gourmet sauce. This sauce has a unique history behind it. Mr Yoshida immigrated to Seattle in his teens with barely any money to his name.
He began to make his traditional family teriyaki sauce and give them away as gifts when those same people demanded refills, therefore sparking Mr Yoshida's business.
This product is especially great if you enjoy the meals you already make at home but want something extra to make your meals especially tasty. Perfect for marinating meat and fish with, using it as a dipping sauce and using it as a seasoning, this teriyaki sauce is simple and versatile.
You'll be glad to know that this product is free from MSG and does not include any artificial preservatives. Made from water, soy sauce, wheat, soybeans, mirin, modified corn starch and a few more ingredients, this product may not be the healthiest option out there, thanks to some of the heavily processed ingredients. However, this teriyaki sauce has 460mg of sodium and 8g of sugar which is not too bad.
5. Red Shell Teriyaki Sauce
Next up is the Red Shell Teriyaki Sauce which is the perfect balance between savoury and sweet.
It's versatile and can be eaten both raw and cooked, overall food types including barbecues.
This teriyaki sauce is made without MSGs, saturated fats or trans fats which are known to increase the risk of coronary artery disease.
It is made from water, sugar, soy sauce, sweet cooking wine, modified food starch, garlic, onion and lactic acid which is a preservative. Its serving size is two tablespoons and comes at 15 calories. There is only 190mg of sodium which is very low as well as only 2g of sugar.
6. Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade and Sauce
Though we've mentioned a very similar product by Kikkoman in this list previously, this version fo the teriyaki sauce is not gluten-free.
The texture of this sauce is thin and almost watery, which makes it a fantastic option to use it as a marinade. This may be an issue if you would like a more versatile teriyaki sauce, however.
It is made from wheat, soy sauce, wine, high fructose corn syrup (which is a sweetener), succinct acid, sodium benzoate and garlic. This product is 15 calories per tablespoon and has 610mg of sodium and 2g of sugar.
7. Kikkoman Teriyaki Glaze
Another Kikkoman product is the Teriyaki Glaze. What makes this product different from the rest is its thick texture which allows you to glaze it over any meat, fish or vegetables effortlessly.
To use this product, brush it only your ingredient of choice during the last 10 minutes before your meal is ready.
Kikkoman is naturally brewed and is made with soy sauce, wine, spices and corn syrup. In the 2 tablespoons serving there are 45 calories 930mg of sodium and 9g of sodium. Be mindful how much of the teriyaki sauce you will be using in one go and try to generally eat a balanced diet.
Lastly, another way you could use this sauce is by mixing it with other ingredients to create your innovative sauce or marinade.
8. Panda Express Chinese Mandarin Teriyaki Sauce
Popular fast-food chain Panda Express now have their classic teriyaki sauce available to purchase in a bottle.
This product is used on one of their most famous dishes - the mandarin chicken - and now you can get the same flavour at home with this teriyaki sauce.
This sauce is versatile and can be used in whichever manner you would like, including rice and noodles. This sauce has no MSG and high fructose corn syrup which may offer you peace of mind, allowing you to enjoy the sauce without feeling guilty. There are 70 calories and 13g of sugar which may be too high especially in comparison to some of the other products in this list.
9. Keli's Ginger-Garlic Teriyaki Sauce
Another vegan teriyaki sauce on the market is Keli's Ginger-Garlic Teriyaki Sauce. It is also kid-friendly, gluten-free and low in sodium.
The use of both ginger and garlic in the sauce ensures a great blend if sweet and savoury flavours.
It also does not have any added preservatives so you and your family can enjoy this sauce without any worries.
With only 290mg of sodium, this teriyaki sauce is great for those who are watching how much salt they consume. To use this product, simply glaze a thin layer on meat, fish or vegetables as it is almost ready being cooked.
10. LA Bonne Teriyaki Sauce
The last product we will be introducing in our list is the LA Bonne Teriyaki Sauce which is gluten-free and does not include MSG. This product is also a great option for those who follow a kosher diet.
With only 10 calories per serving, you won't need to worry about gaining weight or feeling guilty for indulging in the traditional flavours of the teriyaki sauce.
Unfortunately, there is 1080mg of sodium per serving so make sure you don't use extra salt in any of the dishes you choose to make. There is only 1g of sugar in this sauce.
Consider Before Buying Teriyaki Sauce
When it comes to sauces and condiments, no two types are the same. Depending on the ingredients and recipe of the sauce, one sauce could taste very different from another version of the same one.
This is also the case for teriyaki sauce. Though most of the time many of the same ingredients are used, each brand and bottle offer something new and unique. Because of this, it may be a little bit confusing choosing which bottle of teriyaki sauce is perfect for you.
Though teriyaki sauce has become very popular in western countries, it originated from Japanese immigrants who immigrated to Hawaii and used local ingredients to develop some of their traditional flavours. Here, they began to experiment with both sweet and savoury flavours.
Here are some things to consider before you buy teriyaki sauce, just to make sure you get the perfect bottle for you and your kitchen.
One of the first things to consider before buying a bottle of teriyaki sauce is its ingredients. This will not only dictate the flavour of the sauce, but will also determine how healthy or unhealthy it is, and if it is suitable for certain people who may have allergies or dietary requirements.
For the typical savoury and sweet taste, most teriyaki sauces include both sodium and sugar. Typically, the sauce is made by mixing soy sauce with a few more ingredients such as onions, garlic and some preservatives.
Though not all bottles of teriyaki sauce include preservatives, we recommend that you are aware of how much and which type of preservative may be used in any product, simply as a health precaution for you and your family.
Certain brands of teriyaki sauce include alcohol such as cooking wine in the sauces too. Though wine has been used in food to add flavour, it may work against your dietary needs. If you are part of a particular religion where consuming alcohol is prohibited, or if you personally try to avoid alcohol, be wary that sometimes wine is used as an ingredient in teriyaki sauce.
Checking the ingredients of a bottle of sauce is an easy way to know exactly what you are putting in your body and can give you an idea of how much sauce is recommended to use.
The next key area to consider is the flavour of the teriyaki sauce. Though teriyaki sauce is known for being both savoury and sweet and therefore being a great versatile option for many dishes, of course, no two bottles are the same.
If you are a big fan of soy sauce, which is made from soybeans and a lot of salt, and you have a bit of a sweet tooth, teriyaki sauce is something you ought to try if you haven't already.
There are a few things that could impact the flavour of a bottle of sauce, however. The ingredients and how you use the sauce are some ways this could affect the flavour.
Be mindful that some teriyaki sauces are intended to be glazed over meats and vegetables as they are being cooked. Some other versions of the sauce can be enjoyed on its own and raw. How you prepare the sauce is crucial to how it tastes so please be mindful of this before purchasing.
Of course, having certain dietary requirements will be a determining factor when it comes to choosing one bottle of teriyaki sauce over another.
Don't worry if you are vegan or gluten-free. There are now many bottles of teriyaki on the market that do not use any animal product and may avoid using wheat. Be mindful by checking the ingredients list on the back of any product if you have these dietary requirements.
Not only this, some brands offer a kosher option of this sauce. If you follow a kosher diet because of your religion, you won't have to compromise the traditional and authentic flavours of teriyaki sauce.
Next, we recommend that you consider how versatile a product is before you get it. This is to ensure you get as much bang for your buck and will be able to efficiently use a product.
Some teriyaki sauces are fantastic at working as glazes, and others are better at being marinades to seasoning any meat or fish you will be cooking. Though sometimes it's great to have a product that specializes in performing a particular thing, it's always great to know when a product can work well and has several uses.
There are mos teriyaki sauces that offer a balance of flavour and texture that can be used in many different ways in the kitchen. Whether that is to marinate, use as a glaze during a barbeque, as a dipping sauce, we recommend going for a versatile bottle of teriyaki sauce that will leave you feeling satisfied.
Lastly, another area to consider before buying a bottle of teriyaki sauce is the nutritional value. Though this was briefly touched upon earlier, we think it's important to not only know which ingredients are in the sauce (and therefore being aware of any vitamins and minerals it can offer) but understanding how much of these things are in the bottle is crucial too.
Take sodium, for example. Because of the soy sauce used to make the teriyaki sauce, there may be a large amount of salt in a single serving of the sauce. This varies drastically from bottle to bottle so please make sure you check the nutrition label to find out how much sodium you will be consuming with a certain product. This being said, there are now brands that actively attempt to use as little sodium as possible in their sauces.
This also goes for sugar and the calories of the condiment. We all know that too much sugar is never a good thing, but it is essential for the unique flavour of the teriyaki sauce. That being said, simply check the nutrition label at the back of the bottle to know how much sugar you will be consuming per serving and if you are okay with that.
When it comes to food, we can be conscious of how much we are consuming especially if we are conscious of our weight. Most teriyaki sauce is low in calories as long as you stick to the serving size (typically a tablespoon). Some sauces are higher in calories than others though, so make sure you know this before you purchase a product if this is an area of concern for you.
We hope that through this article you have learnt a little bit more about the flavour, nutritional benefits and versatility of the different kinds of teriyaki sauces that are available on the market today.Whether you're vegan, gluten-free, kosher, on a diet or like to use sauces in multiple different ways in the kitchen, there is a bottle of teriyaki sauce that is perfect for you. We hope that by introducing a list of different products, you will feel confident to know which product is the best teriyaki sauce for you.
Also, check the list below to find more teriyaki sauces available on Amazon:
- Soy Vay Variety Pack (Pack of 3)
- Veri Veri Teriyaki- 21Oz
- Hosing Garli 22Oz
- Island Teriyaki - 20Oz
- Low Sodium : Great for Flavoring & Cooking over 300 types of aromas combined. Slowly and naturally fermented, and twice-brewed. containes full of glutamate, which is the elements of savory taste, Umami. made with 30 natural ingredients, including vegetables, fruits, kelp, ginger & laurel leaves for a smooth, savory edge without artificial flavourings.
- For Various Cook Not only for Soup or Broth. Good for seasoning also. Great with Asian dish such as Korean or Japanese menu that contains shoyu or tsuyu. Such as Bulgogi, Sticky pork ribs, Sushi, Ramen And Hawaian or Latin american dish is also good to be used. Poke', Tuna tataki, Chimichuri, or for marinade. can be used everywhere need some more Umami.
- Ingredients : Pear, Radish, Apple, Onion, Pineapple, Garlic, Lemon, Sake, Mirin, Dried Pollack, Dried Shrimp, Dipoli, Dried Anchovy, Deodeok, Yam, Greenonion, Plum Syrup, Ginger, Grainsyrup, Jujube, Dunggulle, Dry Kelp, Shiitake, Mushrooms, Licorice, Blackpepper, Dried red pepper, Bay leaves
- Non-GMO, No chemical seasonings, No additives
- Sunday meal prep just got more interesting with G Huges's Sugar Free Teriyaki Marinade that is perfect to dip, baste, stir-fry, or BBQ!
- Use it to baste, dip, stir fry or BBQ, our keto-friendly teriyaki sauce is versatile and will add a gourmet touch to all your creations.
- Teriyaki Marinade is made using the finest ingredients, starting with tamari soy sauce that is infused with pineapple and sesame oil for a tangy flavor that is a masterful marinade for chicken or fish.
- With only one gram carbohydrates per serving, G. Hughes Sugar Free Teriyaki Marinade is a health-conscious condiment that is bursting with flavor.
- G Huges's Sugar Free Teriyaki Marinade is completely sugar free, gluten free, and preservative free!
- TERIYAKI SAUCE VARIETY PACK: Original and Island flavors are go-to sauces for all your favorite Asian-inspired eats
- ORGANIC MARINADES: Perfect for marinating meats, coating wings, or spreading over veggies
- CLASSIC FLAVORS, REAL INGREDIENTS: Made with USDA organic ingredients like organic balsamic vinegar, organic dates, organic ginger, and organic sesame oil
- LIFESTYLE APPROVED: These Whole30 Approved, Certified Paleo, and Keto Certified sauces are gluten free without soy, grains, canola, or refined sugar
- EAT LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT: Primal Kitchen offers food made with real ingredients for uncompromisingly delicious flavor
- Kinder's Organic Premium Quality Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce 30 oz. (850g) (1 Bottle Per Order)
- Kinder’s Organic Teriyaki is a sweet-savory blend of delicious flavors with notes of garlic and ginger, creating an exotic fusion perfect for any meal.
- Use as a cooking sauce to bake with or stir fry in your favorite dish. Or simply pour the sauce into a bowl and dip away!
- Works great with chicken, steak, pork, fish, and even a veggie stir fry.
- Kinder’s Organic Teriyaki Marinades are non-GMO, contain no high fructose corn syrup and are USDA certified organic.
- AMAZING FLAVOR: This Teriyaki Sauce have a tantalizing salty-sweet flavor that is packed with umami. It has a smooth, syrup like texture that will add a delicate sweetness to grilled, sautéed, roasted or braised foods, before, during or after cooking.
- VERSATILE USAGE: Use it as a sauce or marinade for chicken, meats, veggies, rice, wings, noodles, and much more; from finishing vegetables to cooking calamari, it’s super versatile and tasty.
- SPICE UP YOUR DISHES: Make a chef quality meal in minutes with our sauce. Bring a light, fresh and tangy flavor to spice up your vegetarian and vegan dishes. Your family and guests will believe you spent hours creating the flavor of our sauce.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We are confident you will love the taste of our sauce, our sauce is made of the best ingredients at the most reasonable prices for our customers.
- SAUCE WITH A CAUSE: We are proud to say that a portion of the proceeds received from our sauce sales will be donated to the World Central Kitchen.
- Stonewall Kitchen Sesame Ginger Teriyaki Sauce, 11 Ounces (Pack of 2)
- Spice up your stir fry recipe with the zest and zing of ginger and the richness of sesame
- Use as a dipping sauce or add a splash to soups and stews
- Experiment and try it as a marinade for a fabulous meal
- It all started in 1991 at a local farmers' market with a few dozen items that we'd finished hand-labeling only hours before. Fast-forward to today and Stonewall Kitchen is now home to an ever-growing family of like-minded lifestyle brands! Expertly made with premium ingredients, our products are the result of decades spent dreaming up, testing and producing only the very best in specialty foods and fine home living.
- Authentic Korean Tariyaki