While counters are a reliable and versatile cooking surface, pastry is often best handled on a separate board. Not only does it make for easier cleanup, but it gives you a dedicated work surface made of materials that are better designed to handle the task of working with pastry.
Pastry boards come in all styles, sizes, and even several different materials—but how are you to choose the best one? We’ve rounded up and reviewed the best pastry boards on offer to assist you in making your decision.Below, you’ll find a quick comparison chart that ranks each board by grade. Then, you’ll find detailed reviews below to help you see what features each board has to offer. Finally, we will wrap up with a handy buying guide to help you get the best pastry board for your needs. First, though, let’s take a quick look at the best of what’s available.
We love the Fox Run Marble Pastry Board, not just for its smooth marble finish, but for the fact that it offers a sturdy surface and is dishwasher safe.
Plus, the green color makes cleanup a breeze and ensures you’ll never leave a mess behind.
If you want a budget-friendly board that still delivers, the Dexas Superboard Pastry Board has what you need.
It offers a simple design and plenty of functions without breaking the bank like some designer models.
Best Boards For All Your Baking Needs
1. Fox Run Marble Pastry Board
This pastry board takes the hard work of wood out of the equation, offering a marble slab finish that is durable, sturdy, and will help you roll out the best pastries and doughs, no matter what you’re making.
The marble is less likely to stick to dough than wood and makes cleanup a breeze. There are no cracks and crevices where residue can build up, and it can even be put in the dishwasher if you want to enjoy hands-free cleaning.The Fox Run Marble Pastry Board measures just half an inch thick, giving you plenty of sturdy space without being overly bulky or difficult to store. It can also double as a cutting board or prep station, or even as a cheese plate for a wine and cheese evening.
Plus, the marble stays cool to the touch, ensuring that doughs and ingredients don’t get sticky or melt while you’re working with them. While most people prefer the look and feel of wood prep and cutting boards, this model proves that marble may just be the way to go.
2. Dexas Superboard Pastry Board
The Dexas Superboard is a pastry board like no other. As one of the most affordable options on the list, it features plenty of prep space and a stylish black finish that will blend into any kitchen space perfectly.
Plus, the board is available in multiple sizes and can be purchased as a single item or in a two-pack for those who need more than one and want to save a little money. This pastry board is made of durable PolyGranite composite that looks like real granite. This also means it will resist warming, cracking, and other issues. Plus, it won’t splinter like wood.
The composite material is easy on knives and won’t dull your blades. Plus, it’s 100% dishwasher safe for easy cleanup, or you can simply wipe it down with soap and water.
The pastry board can be purchased in an 11 by 14.5-inch size or a 14 by 17-inch design, giving you plenty of workspace for any cooking occasion. This pastry board is made in the United States and is nonporous, stain-resistant, and won’t absorb odors or moisture like wooden boards.
3. Catskill Craftsmen Reversible Perfect Pastry Board
The Reversible Perfect Pastry Board from Catskill Craftsmen is just that—the perfect pastry board. Although it’s made of wood, it offers an oiled finish to protect the board from absorbing moisture.
It also features a unique design on one side that includes length and width measurements, as well as pre-measured circular guidelines for tarts and pies, including an 8, 9, and 10-inch circle. This ensures that you really can make the perfect pastry every time, no matter what you have in mind.
The Perfect Pastry board measures 22 by 16 inches, giving you plenty of space to work with. Plus, it’s about ¾ of an inch thick, meaning that it is sturdy without being overly bulky. It wipes clean easily and can be stored just about anywhere.
Be advised that because this board is made of natural hardwood, it should not be submerged or soaked in water for an extended time and should not be put in the dishwasher. Catskill Craftsman also offers a warranty on their products, giving you peace of mind that you’re buying a quality item that will last.
4. Sur La Table Marble Pastry Board
The Marble Pastry Board from Sur La Table is a popular choice because it’s a lot easier to work with than traditional wooden boards. While wood offers that classic kitchen look, it can be difficult with doughs and pastries.
Marble, on the other hand, is smooth and creates a less sticky surface because it always stays cool and has a finish that lends itself well to dough, pastry, biscuits, pies, and more. No matter what kind of dough work you have in mind, this pastry board will get the job done.
Plus, this marble board is durable and will not warp or become damaged over time. It requires hand washing but can be wiped down easily in just seconds with soap and water and be ready to use again. You’ll waste less flour on prep and get better quality kneading and rolling when you use marble, thanks to its many impressive features.
Plus, this board is about ¾ of an inch thick, which gives it a sturdy hold and the rubberized feet make sure it stays in place no matter how hard you’re working the pastry. A matching rolling pin and holder are available and sold separately if you want to coordinate your pastry tools.
5. Bethany Housewares 20 Inch Pastry Board and Cloth Set
This pastry board and cloth set includes a cotton-covered pastry board featuring preshrunk cotton with precise sizing for all of your favorite pastries and doughs. The cloth is placed over the board and helps you make perfect pastries every single time.
Plus, it’s removable and washable, making it easy to clean. This board is thinner than a lot of models and may be better suited for light or basic pastries, measuring in at under half an inch in thickness.
The 19” circle provides plenty of workspace for all of your pastries and you can measure out 10, 12, and 14-inch pies and pastry crusts with the printed measurements on the cloth. T
his imported set is ideal for those who want something more unique than a traditional rectangular wooden board. The durable wooden board can be used on its own but should be hand washed with light soap and water and never submerged or soaked in water for an extended period.
6. Snow River USA Hardwood Maple Pastry and Pie Prep Board
For those who enjoy style, substance, and a nod to environmentally conscious choices, this handcrafted pastry board is a perfect choice. It is made from North American-sourced Maple hardwood and created by artisans that know what it takes to make great products.
Of all of the boards, it has the most built-in features for easy cleanup and keeping messes contained, making it a popular choice even though it is made of wood, a material that’s harder to maintain and care for.
This reclaimed wood pastry prep board is sealed with food-grade oil for protection against warping, cracking, and other damage. It should be hand washed and treated with wood oil periodically to keep it in good condition. Never submerge this board in water or soak it for an extended period.
This board features a sizeable working platform at 18 by 24 inches, along with a backsplash to keep messes from spilling out and a handy front lip that provides a secure hold on any counter or table. If you’re looking for a foolproof pastry prep board that delivers design features and premium quality, this model should definitely be on your list.
7. Catskill Craftsmen Over-the-Counter Pastry Board
This board features one blank side that can be used for any prep needs, along with one side that features engraved measurements and pre-formed rounds for various size pies, pastries, and tarts.
Plus, it has a one-inch lip on both sides, which serves as a backsplash on the top and a counter-catch on the bottom, giving you a secure hold while you’re working on your dough.
This durable board is made in the USA and comes with a satisfaction guarantee. It can be used for all kinds of doughs and pastry needs and even for other kitchen prep uses thanks to its stain- and damage-resistant oiled finish.
You will need to oil this board occasionally to keep it in good condition. It should be hand washed with soap and water, and you should never submerge wooden prep boards in water. When you want something versatile, durable, and going to give you the secure base that you need, this board has it all.
8. Thirteen Chefs Wood Pastry Board
The Wood Pastry Board from Thirteen Chefs might be the last one on our list, but it’s not anywhere close to the bottom of the barrel in terms of what’s available.
This premium prep and pastry board features unique edges that serve as a lip to provide a secure hold to the counter and a small backsplash to contain ingredients when they’re facing up. Plus, it’s made from Acacia, which is known for being durable yet soft on knives. It also features warp resistance and antibacterial properties.
This pastry board has plenty of workspace and makes cleanup a breeze. Plus, the dark color provides a great contrast for easy cleanup so that nothing gets left behind. The board can be hand-washed with soap and water and should be oiled occasionally to keep it in its best condition.
This board is ¾-inch thick, providing extra stability for even the toughest kneading and rolling jobs. Plus, it’s easy to move around and store when it’s not in use. This is one of the lowest maintenance options for wooden pastry boards, and it’s sure to deliver years of great use for even the most demanding pastry work.
To the average person, a pastry board might look just like a cutting board, so it can be challenging to know which is the right one for your needs or whether it’s really needed at all. However, upon closer inspection, you’ll see that these boards are anything but generic, offering unique features like built-in measuring tools, premium finishes ideal for dough work and more.
Although these features are great, it can also be challenging to sort through them all and figure out which board is best for your needs. We've taken the time to look over some of the biggest features and factors involved in choosing the best pastry board, no matter what kind of needs you might have.
Read on below to find out all about the elements you should be looking for in a quality pastry board, as well as why they matter and how you can narrow down your options.
Board Material Matters
The majority of boards on our list are wooden. This is because they provide a stylish, durable surface and many people enjoy wood because of its natural beauty and function.
Of course, wood does require more maintenance and you have to be careful to choose a board that’s been properly oiled and sealed so that you don’t have to worry about warping, staining, or additional maintenance and care.
If you do decide to go with wood, choose a darker color or finish so that you can see the flour and dough bits against the grain for easier cleaning. Remember that most of these boards will need to be hand washed and cannot be submerged in water, but they’re fairly simple to wipe down after use.
The other options on the list are marble and granite composite, which are essentially the same quality and have similar benefits. They offer a smoother, marbled surface that resists sticking.
Plus, granite remains cool during use, unlike wood that may heat up and create an even bigger sticky mess if you aren’t using enough flour. You'll use less flour for prepping pastries on a granite or marble board, which also means less mess to clean up after.
Marble and granite composite boards are usually dishwasher-safe, but even washing these boards by hand isn’t much of a chore. Think more about the weight of the board, the ease of use, and how well it functions to serve your pastry making needs.
Ease of Use
Pastry boards are specifically designed to make it easier to work with pastry and dough. Therefore, it makes sense that choosing one that is easy to use should be a priority.
Don’t choose a board that takes a lot of prep work or maintenance, or a material that’s going to stick and make a big mess. This is why most people prefer to work with marble or wooden boards - they work well with doughs and pastries and are easy to care for and clean at the same time.
Speaking of ease of use, you’ll want a board that is stable and sturdy so that it isn’t wobbling around while you’re trying to knead or roll out the dough. A lot of the options on the list have rubberized feet or counter lips to help secure them.
These are important things to look for, because counters are notoriously smooth surfaces, and the last thing you need is a board slipping all over the place when it’s supposed to be making your job easier, not more difficult.
Does Size Really Matter?
As with any prep space, size is everything. Bigger is typically going to be better for working with your pastries and doughs, but that isn’t always the case. Make sure that you have a large enough work surface to do what you need, but also that the board fits on your counter space.
The best thing to do is to measure your counter ahead of time so that you know what you need when you start shopping. Then, you can instantly narrow down your options by size.
If your kitchen is smaller, you might want to choose a more portable board or one that is made of silicone that can be rolled up and stored easily. However, the slim profile of most marble and wooden boards are just as easy to store. Just remember to consider the following factors in your decision:
- How much workspace you need
- How much counter space you have
- How much storage space is available
That way, you’ll get the perfect pastry board for your baking needs and also guarantee that you can use and store it effectively. If space isn’t an issue in the kitchen, you can just worry about the size of the work surface that you want when making this decision.
Other Factors to Consider
While we’ve already covered the primary factors to consider when picking out your pastry board, there may be some additional features that you want to think about before finalizing your decision.
For example, there are some on the list that have a backsplash built-in to protect from spills and reduce counter cleanup. There are also boards available with engraved measurements and pre-designed forms to help you create the perfect pie crusts, pizzas, and other pastries.
You may also want to make sure that your pastry board is properly temperature-rated if you are going to use it for other things. Check out the thickness of the board when looking at your options. A thicker board is good because it will offer a sturdier base than something thin or a flimsy material like silicone.
These features aren’t essential, but they can certainly increase the enjoyment of owning a pastry board and make your work that much easier. Be sure to make a list of needs when you’re shopping for the best pastry board, but also make a list of wants. That way, you’ll be able to get the best of both worlds when making your final decision.
The Benefits of Owning a Dedicated Pastry Board
Although it’s not a necessity in the kitchen, a pastry board can be a valuable asset to have on hand, especially for those who make a lot of pastries and doughs. Dedicated tools may make the difference in speed, quality, and how much you enjoy your time in the kitchen.
Not only that, but pastry boards are designed specifically for this task, making them more effective than most of the other surfaces available today. Here are a few more benefits to keep in mind when you’re considering investing in a pastry board and other dedicated pastry-making tools.
- Save your counters by doing all of your work on a dedicated board. Even the most durable counters will take a beating with regular prep use. Use a pastry board and spend less time cleaning and caring for the countertops themselves.
- Easier pastry making, thanks to a dedicated work surface that’s specifically designed for working with pastries and doughs. It’s really about having fun with your dough and pastry making, and that means that it shouldn’t be hard work. A pastry board, along with a pastry cutter, scraper, and other tools can set you up for success.
- In kitchens with available space, this tool can also be a display or decorative piece and can even be used for other food prep needs.
Finding a good quality pastry board can be a game changer for those of us who commonly work with dough and pastries. Make sure that you look for a surface that is smooth, sturdy, and easy to clean.
Think about the size that you want to work with and be sure to consider any additional features or tools that are included. In no time, you’ll be making better pastries with much easier cleanup.
Check also these pastry boards available on Amazon:
- 🍪Clear and Accurate Measurement Marking: Featured with Measurement marking, this pastry baking mat is perfect for rolling out pie crust and biscuit dough. Simply follow the markings on the pastry mat and you will get a prefect pie crust or biscuit dough.
- 🍪Non-slip and Non-stick Silicone Pastry Mat: Made of premium BPA Free Food Grade silicone, this pastry mat will lay flat after being rolled up/folded and won’t move around on the counter. It is easy to take out out pie crust or biscuit dough after rolling dough, because the surface of this pastry mat are made of special non-stick silicone , which ensures dough will not stick to the pastry mat. Make your work easier than ever.
- 🍪Upgraded thickened silicone & High Temperature Resistance -40-446℉: Adopted special technique, this upgraded pastry mat has the advantages of aging resistance, no deformation, long service life, convenient clean and storage. The feature of high temperature resistance, make it ideal for fondant and cake decor.
- 🍪Super Easy to Clean: This silicone pastry mat will save you from cleaning counter top after cooking/baking. Non-stick silicone make it super easy to be cleaned up. This silicone baking mat is dishwasher washable and can be stored folded or rolled up.
- 🍪100% BPA-Free and Food-grade Silicone: Made of most safe and best material, it is safe for using with food. You are covered by a 1 year worry-free warranty, 30 day no reason return and refund, contact us any time if you have any question. We are all at your service.
- 【Non-stick and Non-slip】: Has the advantages of the silicone, it is easy to take out out pie crust or biscuit dough with this pastry mat after rolling or kneading. At the same time, its nature will ensures the pastry mat will stick to the counter top firmly and never shift. You can definitely enjoy your baking work with this silicone pastry mat.
- 【Extra-thick & Exact-large & Double Aided Available】: The weight of this pastry mat is up to oz, we promise this pastry mat is made of the best food-grade silicone. This upgraded pastry mat is ticker than other pastry mats on the market, it will bring you a better experience while rolling or kneading. Size: 24 x 16 inch , thickness: 0.45 inch.
- 【Clear and Accurate Measurement Marking】: Featured with measurement marking, this pastry baking mat is perfect for rolling out pie crust or biscuit dough. Simply follow the markings on the pastry mat and you will get a prefect pie crust or biscuit dough.
- 【Super Easy to Use or Clean】: This silicone pastry mat will save you from cleaning counter top after cooking/baking. Non-stick silicone make it super easy to be cleaned up. This silicone baking mat is dishwasher washable and can be stored folded or rolled up. Dishwasher washable, high temperature resistance up to 446℉
- 【Durable and Safe, As Safe as Nipples】: Made of food-grade silicone, this pastry mat has advantages of aging resistance, no deformation, long service life.
- NONSTICK – Easily remove food after baking without the need of oil or cooking sprays. Our baking mats also eliminates the use of parchment paper, making this an environmentally friendly product.
- QUALITY – 100% BPA Free Food Grade Silicone with no filler added. Premium baking mat that will not stain, absorb odors or flavors. Our mat will not peel, crack, or lose its flexibility, so it can be rolled up or stored flat, occupying minimal room.
- DESIGN – The silicone’s anti-slip design is strongly adhesive to countertop and other surfaces. Measurements along the edges to help you divide dough in a pinch. Modern layout to help guide portion and space out cookies. Makes baking cookies with kids fun and easy!
- PERFECT SIZE – Use our mat as a baking tray liner for non-sticking baking in conventional ovens. With a convenient size of 11.625” x 16.5” it fits perfectly on half size sheet pans.
- DURABLE – Temperature resistant from -30 ºF t o 400 ºF, making it safe to use in the freezer, oven, microwave, and dishwasher. Easy to clean, durable stain resistant and helps protect your bakeware. Simply wash with warm soapy water or place on the top rack of your dishwasher.
- 3 non-stick silicone baking mats for easy and convenient baking
- 3 assorted sizes for your baking needs: 9 x13 inch, 9.85 x 14.76 inch and 16.5 x 11.6 inch
- No need for oil, cooking sprays, or parchment paper; oven-safe up to 480 degrees F
- Easy to clean; hand wash with soap and water
- Time For Homemade Treats: The premium pastry & pasta board by ZICOTO is just the right kitchen companion for that! The large non-stick wood board is perfect for you to knead & roll all kinds of dough flawlessly - simply place it on your countertop or table & knead away
- Extra Large For All Your Culinary Adventures: Finally a baking board that offers plenty of space! Whether you’re preparing homemade pasta, pie crusts, bread, pizza dough or cut out cookies with the kids, with 28x22x1.5” the dough board has the best size to bring your creations to life
- Designed To Last - Your First Class Dough Rolling Board: Made of beautiful, thick Acacia hardwood the kneading board is extremely durable making it a top-notch pastry board you can count on for a lifetime - premium material as its finest
- 2in1 - Large Cutting Board & Pastry Board: You can simply flip the dough board over and use the other side as an oversized cutting board! A space-saving, practical design that allows you to cut and chop veggies, meats & more
- Always Stays Securely In Place: The over-the-counter design of the wood bread board w/ a front lip makes sure that the board is stabilized and won’t slip away while you are kneading the dough
- EVERY PASTRY CHEFS SECRET WEAPON - La Patisserie’s Marble Slab features natural non-stick properties and dissipates heat extremely well, allowing the smooth surface to stay cooler for longer. This means that when you are rolling out heat-sensitive dough like pie crusts, biscuits and pastries, your dough will remain cool keeping it firm while kneading, rolling, and cutting.
- 100% GENIUNE MARBLE - La Patisserie Marble Pastry Boards are cut from natural, high quality marble meaning that no two marble pastry boards are alike. Although each white marble slab will have its own unique colorations and patterns, it’s guaranteed that every board will always have a beautiful, non-stick, and smooth surface for professional bakers and chefs to work on. PLEASE NOTE: Due to natural variations in the marble, color may differ slightly from the images.
- THE PERFECT SIZE FOR KNEADING DOUGH AND TEMPERING CHOCOLATE – Measuring in at 16 by 20 inches, the La Patisserie White Marble Pastry Board gives you amble real estate for rolling and kneading dough as well as tempering chocolate to give your sweet desserts a glossy and crisp finish. The marble slab is also 0.5’’ thick, weighs 20lbs and come with slip-resistant feet to help minimize slippage while kneading. PLEASE NOTE: Due to the size of the marble board, please lift to move and do not slide.
- INCLUDES MATCHING MARBLE ROLLING PIN WITH STAND – The included 16 by 1.5-inch Marble rolling pin features a cool, non-stick surface for a smooth and consistent roll while working with heat-sensitive doughs like cookies, biscuits, pizzas and pies. Preferred by professional bakers, our handle-less marble rolling pin also give you the best sense of contact with the dough, helping you roll dough to the precise thickness every time. PLEASE NOTE: Hand wash only. Do not place in dishwasher.
- LEVEL UP YOUR DESSERT AND PASTRY GAME – If you are serious about baking, then you definitely need to include our Marble Pastry Board Set as one of your kitchen essentials. It doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or professional baker - our marble pastry board set will take your baking game to the next level! Our Marble Pastry Board also makes the perfect wedding gift, anniversary gift, Christmas gift and birthday gift for people who already have everything!
- ✔️ FOOD GRADE SILICONE: GREENRANIN Pastry Mat is made of premium silicone and glass fiber. It is safe, soft, durable and will not wrinkle or fade.
- ✔️ DOUBLE THICKNESS: The thickness of the mat is 0.6 mm, which is almost twice that of other mats (0.3 mm). Thicker mats will not slip or wrinkle when used.
- ✔️ NON-STICKY SURFACE: Even if grease or dough sticks to the surface, the pastry mat can be easily cleaned to keep countertops clean and sanitary.
- ✔️ ANTI-SLIP BOTTOM: The bottom of the mat strongly adheres to the countertop or other surfaces; it does not slip or slide on the counter.
- ✔️ 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We believe in our products, so every purchase comes with our 100% money-back guarantee. If you experience an issue with your GREENRAIN product, get in touch with us for a replacement or refund. We will provide friendly, easy-to-reach support.