Bone broth is one of the most nourishing foods you can find. It is packed with protein, low in calories, and contains vital nutrients that help with our body’s essential functions.
However, making bone broth at home can be a lengthy and time consuming process, which is why we’ve taken the time to find the bone broth that’s right for you.
Bone broth is an incredibly versatile kitchen staple, and buying it already prepared is a serious time saver. We’ve done the work for you and have narrowed down the best store-bought bone broths on the market.
The Kitchen Basics Original Chicken Bone Broth is our best pick. It is made from organic vegetables, and has a delicious and natural flavor that can both be enjoyed alone or mixed into homemade soups and stews.
The InstaBroth Bone Broth Powder is our budget pick. This powder bone broth is an excellent option for anyone looking for an inexpensive, instant bone broth in powder form.
Quick Comparison: 10 Best Store-Bought Bone Broths
1. Kitchen Basics Original Chicken Bone Broth - Editor's Pick
The Kitchen Basics Original Chicken Bone Broth is our number one pick of these best store-bought bone broths for a variety of reasons.
To begin, it is an all-natural product that only contains the highest quality ingredients and has no added preservatives or MSG.
It is a natural source of animal protein, as well as being very low in calories.
Kitchen Basics Original Chicken Bone Broth has a natural, superior taste and can even be enjoyed on its own. It doesn’t taste processed, thanks to the fact that it is made from real chicken bones, vegetables, and herbs, so you can get the high-quality, natural flavor of homemade bone broth without having to put in any of the work.
2. Protein Essentials InstaBroth Bone Broth Powder - Easy To Prepare
Due to its powder format, the InstaBroth Bone Broth Powder is our best budget pick when it comes to store-bought bone broths.
Though it doesn’t come ready to drink or use, its convenient powder form makes it extremely easy to prepare, as you just need to stir one tablespoon of it into one cup of boiling water to enjoy.
It is also high in protein and low in calories, with 12.5 grams of protein and only 65 calories per serving.
Though this bone broth powder does contain additives and preservatives, it does have high gelatin and collagen levels, and comes in both chicken and beef options. Plus, it’s one of the most affordable powdered bone broth options available and has an impressively long shelf-life.
3. LonoLife Beef Bone Broth Powder - Best Paleo Snack
Another powdered bone broth, LonoLife Beef Bone Broth Powder is made from grass-fed beef collagen.
Pre-portioned into portable serving-size stick packs, it is the perfect on-the-go paleo snack.
The beef broth comes in traditional, low-sodium, thai-curry, or tomato flavors, offering options for a variety of tastes.
It is rich in collagen and free of gluten, sugar, MSG, and artificial colors.
These single-serving packets could be an ideal option for anyone on-the-go who is looking for a nutritious and protein packed snack. They are also a great travel option if you’re hoping to bring some nutritious bone broth with you on your trip.
4. Ancient Nutrition Bone Broth Protein Powder
This easily digestible and gut-friendly chicken bone broth comes in quite a unique form: protein powder.
While it doesn’t have the traditional savory flavor of bone broth, it is a great option for those who don’t like the natural flavor of bone broth but would still like to enjoy its benefits, as it is rich in collagen and protein.
It comes in a variety of flavors, including pure, vanilla, chocolate, turmeric, and pumpkin spice, so it can be used in a sweet protein shake, smoothie, or even coffee.
Instead of using a typical dairy-based protein powder, bone broth protein powder can be a great alternative for those looking to boost both their protein and collagen intake.
5. Kettle and Fire Chicken Bone Broth Soup
The Kettle and Fire Chicken Bone Broth Soup can be enjoyed alone or used as a great addition to a warm meal.
It comes in a number of different flavors, including coconut curry, mushroom, and turmeric ginger.
It is a great natural source of collagen and serves as a quick, healthy snack, as it contains just 50 calories per serving and can be warmed up in no time.
This bone broth soup is gluten free, keto friendly, and paleo friendly, and is made from organic, pasture-raised chicken bones.
6. Bare Bones Bone Broth Instant Powdered Beverage Mix
This instant powdered beverage mix turns bone broth into a hydrating beverage perfect for intermittent fasting and keto or paleo diets.
You simply mix the convenient, individual serving-size packets with hot water and you have a bone broth beverage in an instant.
It is made from grass-fed beef collagen, and only contains real and healthy ingredients.
This instant bone broth is an excellent pre or post workout supplement, so you could even bring it with you to the gym to ensure that you are getting all of the protein and fuel that your body needs. At only 50 calories and no sugar per serving, it packs 10 g of protein.
7. Precision Naturals Bone Broth Protein Powder
This bone broth protein powder is another convenient way to get the concentrated benefits of beef collagen protein.
It also has essential nutrients, such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium that we need to maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
It also has a unique amino acid profile and is extremely high in protein, with 20 g per serving, making it a good option for those looking for exercise recovery or extra protein for their training.
It is made purely from grass-fed beef and it is GMO free, therefore containing pasture raised gelatin and vital nutrients.
However, it cannot be used to cook, and while it is a great option when mixed into smoothies or other drinks, it might have a bit of a strange taste if you are looking to drink it alone with hot water. In that case, some of the above options might be a better choice.
8. Osso Good Chicken Bone Broth
Osso Good Chicken Bone Broth comes in liquid form and is only made with the most natural ingredients.
The chicken is organic and antibiotic-free and is sourced from small family-owned farms.
Additionally, it is made only with organic vegetables.
It can be cooked into dishes or enjoyed alone, and it contains no artificial flavors or added salt.
With 15 g of protein and only 80 calories per serving, it is an extremely healthy source of naturally occurring gelatin and nutrients that are essential to a healthy gut and immune system.
9. Kitchen Accomplice Chicken Bone Broth
This chicken bone broth concentrate also comes in powder form, making it a convenient choice both for enjoying alone or flavoring soups or stocks.
One package makes 14 cups of broth, and the extremely concentrated powder goes a long way.
However, it does contain some additives, such as maltodextrin and yeast extract.
That being said, it is made with organic ingredients, contains no GMOs, and is gluten free. In contrast to the other powdered bone broths listed above, Kitchen Accomplice Chicken Bone Broth is perhaps best used when making soups or stews rather than consuming on its own. Another one of its benefits is that it has a long shelf-life.
10. Bare Bones Chicken Bone Broth
This keto and paleo friendly liquid chicken bone broth is a high quality product made only from natural and organic ingredients.
It has no added flavorings or preservatives and is antibiotic-free. It is great both when enjoyed alone or used as an ingredient in a dish, and is very high in protein
Additionally, it is made with a plethora of organic spices and vegetables, like scallions, mushrooms, tomatoes, ginger, and turmeric, giving it a unique and delicious flavor.
It is gluten, soy, and dairy free, and is a perfect addition to any paleo or keto diet and is packed with collagen and vital proteins thanks to the 20+ hour slow-cooking process.
Health Benefits of Bone Broth
Bone broth is an incredibly healthy, natural food that has a plethora of health benefits. It is highly nutritious and rich in nutrients like calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus.
It also has high levels of protein and collagen, which are very important for tissue and muscle regeneration, making bone broth a great pick for athletes or people who are especially active.
On top of this, the source of gelatin in bone broth makes great at protecting your joints, along with helping people who have osteoarthritis.
Along with having high levels of protein, bone broth also contains certain amino acids that make it key in reducing inflammation and healing your gut. All of this is incredibly helpful for maintaining a healthy immune system.
This is why it can be so beneficial to consume chicken soup when you are sick with a cold or the flu. It can also be helpful in healing disorders like asthma, allergies, and arthritis.
Another little known benefit of bone broth is the effect that it can have on skin, hair, and nails, thanks to its high levels of collagen. It can also aid in detoxification and support healthy metabolism functions.
Finally, the presence of amino acids in bone broth may also aid in sleep, making it a great choice for people with insomnia or other sleep disorders.
However, it is important to remember that bone broth is not compatible with plant-based diets, as it is made from animal products.
History of Bone Broth
Though it is a very popular modern trend, bone broth is actually an incredibly ancient food. Bone broth has been made by various cultures for thousands of years, and was used as Chinese medicine over 2,500 years ago to strengthen the kidneys and aid in digestion.
It was (and is) used in a wide variety of Asian cuisines, and made its way through Ancient Greece, the rest of Europe, and South America as well. Nowadays, it can be found all over the world and is referred to by a number of different names.
As you probably know, bone broth can also be made at home. Though it requires simple ingredients, it is a rather time consuming process, given that you must simmer it for 8-12 hour, or perhaps even 24 hours.
For that reason, many people choose to buy their bone broth rather than making it. However, there are certain things that should be taken into consideration when choosing a store-bought bone broth.
The Most Important Factors in Choosing a Store-Bought Bone Broth
In order to buy the best bone broth for you, it’s important to keep in mind what exactly you plan on using it for. There are a few motives that people most often have when it comes to buying and using bone broth.
First off, you may be buying it because you plan on cooking with it. In this case, it is usually most convenient to buy it in liquid form, given that you will be able to pour it straight into your recipe without having to first dissolve a powder in hot liquid.
Additionally, you should keep in mind what kinds of recipes you plan on using the broth in. Chicken broth and beef broth will have different flavors and should be used in different recipes. You should also take this into consideration when deciding whether or not to purchase a flavored broth.
If you don’t plan on cooking with your bone broth, another common use is drinking it alone as a healthy snack or supplement to benefit from its high nutritional value. In this case, it may be most convenient to buy it in powder form.
Bone broth powder can be bought as a broth-flavored powder and added to boiling water to create a nourishing bone broth beverage. In this case, it is possible to buy it either in a large container or in individual serving-size packets.
Additionally, you can buy powdered bone broth in protein powder form. This bone broth, which also comes in sweet flavors, is a great choice for adding to smoothies or protein shakes.
Something to keep in mind when using powdered bone broth is that it may lose some of its nutritional value when converted into powder form and later reheated with boiling water. However, it will still reap many of the benefits that bone broth offers.
Also pay close attention to the ingredients that any given bone broth contains before purchasing.
How You Should Use Bone Broth
As mentioned above, bone broth can be used in a variety of ways. To begin, it should be used when flavoring soups and stews.
If you prepare a soup or a stew just using water, it has a tendency to be quite bland. That’s why it’s a better idea to use bone broth instead, which will also give it added nutritional value.
You can even cook grains, such as rice or quinoa, in bone broth to reap its nutritional benefits and create additional flavor. Take, for example, this Summer Vegetable Quinoa Salad with Bone Broth.
Aside from this, some people consume bone broth purely for its nutritional value. In this case, bone broth can be consumed on its own, and is always more tasty when warm.
Bone broth is a great option for intermittent fasters and people on the paleo or keto diet. Additionally, it is great for people looking to up their protein intake, given that it has such a high concentration of the macronutrient.
Storing Store-Bought Bone Broth
One of the benefits of store-bought bone broth is its shelf-life. While homemade bone broth lasts a very short period in the refrigerator, store bought bone broth will certainly last longer. Just how long depends on the specific type of bone broth.
First off, liquid bone broth that comes in a carton should last up to a year unopened. However, once you open it, it should be stored in the refrigerator and used within 4-5 days. Another option if you open store-bought bone broth and are unable to use it is to put the remainder of the package in the freezer until you need it.
On the other hand, bone broth that comes in powder form tends to last longer than liquid bone broth. You should always check the manufacturer’s instructions, but powdered bone broth usually lasts up to two years when unopened and six months after opened if stored in the refrigerator.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between bone broth and stock?
While they often serve the same purpose in recipes, there are a few things that do differentiate bone broth from stock. Both bone broth and stock are made from water, animal bones, vegetables, and aromatics.
However, stock is simmered for a shorter period of time than bone broth (4-6 as compared to 10-20+ hours), so more collagen and gelatin is extracted from the animal bones when bone broth is made than when stock is made.
Additionally, bone broth can sometimes be made with animal meat as well, which is never the case for stock.
Why is bone broth good for your gut health?
Bone broth is great for the digestive system, and that’s because of its high levels of gelatin. Gelatin helps to seal the gut and is very important in tissue function, which makes bone broth can be especially beneficial for those suffering from leaky gut syndrome or other digestive issues.
Is bone broth good for fasting?
The answer to this question depends on why you’re fasting. If it is for religious regions, bone broth may not be permitted. However, if you are practicing intermittent fasting, bone broth can be a great way to give you energy and tide you over until your next mealtime.
Bone broth is perfectly acceptable (and in fact even recommended) for intermittent fasting, thanks to the fact that it has no carbohydrates so it won’t raise your blood sugar. It will, however, be a great source of protein, vitamins, and minerals.
How much bone broth should you drink?
While bone broth is certainly a healthy, nutritious food, just like everything, it is best in moderation. While you probably won’t gain weight from drinking too much of it, over consuming bone broth could potentially have some harmful consequences.
Bones tend to store heavy metals such as lead, so when slowly simmered over time, it is possible that these dangerous elements seep into the broth. Though the risks of incurring harm from consuming the trace amount of these minerals that are present in bone broth are low, it’s certainly best to not overdo it. Sticking to a cup or two of bone broth a day will give you all of the healthy benefits that it provides without putting you at any risk.
Taking into account ingredients, price, shelf-life, and more are key considerations when choosing the best store-bought bone broth. There are a lot of bone broths on the market, but it can be helpful to keep in mind what exactly you plan on using your bone broth for when choosing a store-bought bone broth.
If you’re planning on cooking with bone broth, remember that a liquid, like our best pick Kitchen Basics Original Chicken Bone Broth, may be your best option.
However, if you would like to consume bone broth purely for its nutritional benefits, a convenient powder, such as our budget pick InstaBroth Bone Broth Powder, may be your best option. Also keep in mind how often you plan on using the bone broth, as shelf-life may also play a role in your decision.
Check this also:
- INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS BONE BROTH WITH COLLAGEN: Enjoy our bone broth soup with collagen to support youthful skin, promote a healthy gut, boost the immune system, and improve joint health
- BONE BROTH BENEFITS: Support for Intermittent Fasting, Low Carb, Keto, Paleo, and Whole 30 Approved Diets
- HIGH QUALITY PREMIUM INGREDIENTS: Free from dairy, gluten, hormones, antibiotics, additives and non-GMO
- OUR BONE BROTH: starts with bone marrow from pasture-raised cattle or free-range chicken bones, add organic herbs, veggies, and spices, simmer for 20+ hours, and you get a tasty bone broth
- 4 FLAVORS: Coconut, Turmeric, Chipotle, Lemongrass Ginger.16.9 oz per carton. Our packaging is FSC - Certified and Recyclable, made from natural and renewable raw materials.
- Chef Crafted Flavor: Taste the rich, savory difference in this organic bone broth made from organic bones and finished with fresh organic vegetables, herbs and spices
- Slow-Cooked for 20+ Hours: We create the best bone broth, packed full of collagen, vital proteins & amino acids by gently simmering the real bones and knuckles of responsibly raised animals for over 20 hours
- Exclusively Clean, Organic Ingredients: Made only with clean, organic ingredients that have proven nutritional and flavor-adding value. No added flavorings or preservatives, antibiotics, growth stimulants, or hormones. Lab-tested free of lead
- Ideal For Your Bone Broth Diet: This superfood is 100% Organic, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo, and Whole30 Approved
- Sustainable Packaging: Proprietary pouch technology mimics traditional home- canning process, using steam to lock in best flavor while preserving texture, protein, collagen, gelatin, minerals and nutrients
- CHICKEN BONE BROTH WITH COLLAGEN PROTEIN, GINGER & TURMERIC: Nutritious and containing naturally occurring collagen protein, our bone broth is made from chicken bones, vegetables, and herbs and spices
- GREAT ON THE GO SNACK: Our sipping bone broth is conveniently packaged in a microwavable sipping cup. Perfect for busy, active lifestyles, it's a snack you can eat on the go.
- SIPPING BROTH IS A 45 CALORIE SNACK: Each microwavable bone broth cup is 45 calories
- NO ADDED PRESERVATIVES: Swanson Sipping Bone Broth is crafted from non-GMO ingredients and made from chickens raised with no antibiotics ever
- HEAT, SIP, & GO: Each microwavable bone broth sipping cup is ready to sip and 10.75 ounces, the perfect amount for an on the go snack
- BEEF BONE BROTH - Enjoy all the benefits and great taste of slow-cooked natural beef broth, made from grass-fed, pasture-raised cattle, fresh veggies, and a blend of savory herbs, spices, and seasonings.
- NATURAL FLAVORS - You don’t have to worry about any artificial colors, sweeteners, preservatives, or flavors. These packets are great companions for paleo and keto diets.
- PROTEIN-RICH - Each serving packs 10 grams of collagen-rich protein. It provides an excellent source of nutrients and essential amino acids to help fortify your joints, bones, skin, hair, nails, and more.
- DIGESTION & METABOLISM - Give your digestive system and metabolism a boost! Our broth can help repair gut lining, increase muscle mass, and crush hunger.
- REFUEL ON THE GO - These portable, single-serve stick packs are fast, fulfilling, and keep you fueled when you’re crunched for time - at home, at the office, at the gym, or on the road.
- 1 32 oz. carton of Imagine Organic Low-Sodium Free-Range Chicken Broth
- Made with non-GMO ingredients.Non dairy
- USDA-Certified Organic
- Perfect for stews and soups
- NOTHING TO HIDE: Our natural beef bone broth is made from only grass-fed and finished Australian beef bones and evaporated sea salt. Ideal base broth to flavour as you desire by adding herbs and spices. Easy to disguise and boost children's meals.
- THAT'S HOW WE ROLL: Our bone broth is pasteurised and bottled to seal in the goodness and freshness for when you open it. . Our beef bone broth range is gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, Preservative Free, Antibiotic and hormone-free. Zero Carbohydrates, Zero Sugar. We included heavy metal testing of all finished broth products.
- EASY and YUM: Our bone broth is milky white when mixed with water, this is because we only use leg marrow bones in our broth. It is not like the home made broth or stocks. Our broth has been made into a concentrated liquid so you just need a teaspoon full to get great nutritional value.
- HOW TO USE : Stir 1 teaspoon into 100ml of hot water for an instant beverage. Stir through favourite dishes to add a natural and nutritious flavour boost. Great to boost your home cooking. Start or end the day with a cup of broth.
- INGREDIENTS: 100% Australian Beef Bone Broth (88%) Naturally evaporated sea salt. Our easy-to-digest tasty broth is easy to make, just add 1 teaspoon to a cup of 100 ml of hot water for a beverage drink. Refrigerate once opened and will last for 4 months in the fridge. NO added vegetables or herbs. Just Pure Beef Bones and Salt.
- Full of naturally occurring protein made from slowly simmered organic, free-range chicken bones, no powders
- Locally sourced non-GMO ingredients with nothing artificial added. USDA Organic. Gluten-free, Dairy-free, no MSG. No salt or sugar added.
- Pour, heat and sip warm by the cup or enhance flavor and protein of recipes that call for water or broth
- May be suitable for Paleo diets, Keto diets, post-workout, afternoon refueling, or evening routine for a low-calorie soothing snack
- 12-pack of convenient 8 ounce size is great for sipping or as a pantry staple for 1-cup recipes
- 🐮100% Grass Fed:Source from Pasture Raised, Grass-Fed, Kosher Friendly, Non-GMO cow bones with type I & III collagen. No added hormones, No additives, No dairy, No gluten, No soy, low sodium.
- 🐮20G Protein Per Serving:100% Natural and Pure collagen peptides.No artificial flavors and sweeteners, and free antibiotics and preservatives. Made and tested in the USA by a Certified cGMP facility.
- 🐮Amazing Benefits: Packed with vital nutrients such as collagen, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Hyaluronic Acid and 19 different Amino Acids. More Serving per container, and TWICE the amount of protein and collagen 1 & 3 compared to other brands.Improve your health naturally, For Healthy Skin, Nails, Hair, Joints & Digestion.improves Mood.
- 🐮Easy to Mix:We have advanced our technology to make the bone broth powder more soluble.Unflavored has slight beef flavor,so blends well with other flavors. Good way to add protein to daily diet. Gives added nutrition to your meal.
- 🐮30 Day Guarantee: At Zammex, we maintain a strict quality assurance guideline to ensure that every order we produce fulfill customer expectations and represents leading standards. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, we will happy to refund your order within 30 days of purchase.
- FRESH INGREDIENTS: Contains 10 (22oz.) containers made up of (3) Chicken Bone Broth, (3) Hearth Bone Broth, (2) 100% Grass-Fed Bone Broth and (2) Seaweed+Mushroom Broth
- BRODO BENEFITS: Great-tasting, high-quality bone broth that soothes from the inside out. Brodo is rich in collagen protein, amino acids, and nutrients, all in a form your body can easily absorb. Drink regularly to improve your gut health & immunity, restore joints, and improve your hair, skin and nails.
- NO SHORTCUTS: We use traditional methods including roasting, slow simmering in open kettles, and hand skimming to create clearer, purer, more delicious broths. We freeze our broth fresh rather than render it shelf stable. No preservatives, pasteurization, or aseptic packaging. No shelf stable meat products here!
- NO ALLERGENS: Whole30 Approved. Certified Paleo. Gluten Free. Milk Free. Keto-Friendly.
- WINS IN BLIND TASTE TEST: Founded by James-Beard Award Winning Chef Marco Canora, Brodo tastes delicious right out of the container. It's the only drinkable bone broth.
- 100% GRASS FED COLLAGEN BONE BROTH; all Dr. Kellyann bone broth recipes use grass fed hydrolyzed collagen powder helping your body absorb more nutrients and reap the bone-broth benefits
- KETO - PALEO - BONE BROTH DIET; our bone broths are gluten-free, dairy-free, wheat-free and sugar-free. Keto & Paleo Friendly. 0g Fat, 1g Carbs, 16g Protein, 0g Sugar
- MINIMAL INGREDIENTS; made with 9 premium Non-GMO ingredients; bone broth powder, cauliflower powder, hydrolyzed collagen, sea salt, black pepper, minced green onion, parsley, reishi mushroom powder, turmeric extract
- REDUCE CRAVINGS, SATISFY HUNGER; grass-fed collagen protein has power peptides & amino acids to boost metabolism and help reduce food cravings while the dehydrated bone broth fills you up to satisfy your hunger
- 7 BONE BROTH PACKETS; our collagen bone broth packets allow you to enjoy a fit, healthy lifestyle while you’re on-the-go; dissolves easily, just pour & mix with 8oz of warm water for best results