Novel cooks and professional chefs around the globe may swear by different methods, various techniques, and a wide range of ingredients. Still, most can agree on one sure-fire way to spice up almost any kind of food: all purpose seasoning.
From burgers and steaks to veggies and sauces, you simply can't go wrong with a high-quality all purpose seasoning. If you're looking to gather the staples for a well-rounded kitchen, this is definitely one of the items to put on your list.Take your flavor profile up a notch with this simple spice blend, and your friends and family will think you've been taking cooking lessons. Let's learn a little more about the best all purpose seasoning and how it can enhance your recipes.
As the best pick, we chose Lawry's Salt-Free 17 Seasoning. While many of the options on our list today are excellent and include nice blends of five or six seasonings, Lawry's boasts a whopping 17 different ingredients to really draw out a superb flavor profile. Plus, even with all these components, it's salt-free. That makes it healthier overall.
We also wanted to highlight McCormick's Himalayan Pink Salt All Purpose Seasoning as the best for your budget. With this unique blend of spices and herbs, you can season such a wide range of foods. It's easy on the budget without sacrificing quality taste.
Quick Comparison: Top 10 Best All Purpose Seasoning
1. Lawry's Salt-Free 17 Seasoning
Many all purpose seasonings include four or five main ingredients to deliver a flavor-packed punch to your average foods and meals. Lawry's Salt-Free 17 Seasoning jams a whopping 17 ingredients into their spice and herb blend for a sensational palate that far exceeds our expectations.
Not only does Lawry's offer a robust flavor profile, but it does so without the salt that other spice blends often include. This means a healthier blend with all of the same great taste.
The 17 spices extend beyond your typical onion, garlic, and pepper to include unique ingredients such as basil, red bell pepper, turmeric, and toasted sesame seeds. This all-natural blend uses nothing but premium vegetables, herbs, and spices.Other ingredients include cornstarch, sage, bay leaves, carrots, citric acid, orange peel, and lemon peel.
With no salt, added MSG, artificial colors, or fake flavors, you get a low-sodium solution to added flavor in the kitchen.
Lawry's 17 Seasoning is an excellent choice for food like beef, seafood, poultry, vegetables, and even pasta. Created specifically for professionals like chefs and dieticians, you can be confident that this blend is giving you the best of the best.
2. McCormick Himalayan Pink Salt All Purpose Seasoning
McCormick is such a widely used and trusted brand in the culinary world that it's no surprise one of its creations tops our list of all purpose seasonings. Their specialized Himalayan pink salt seasoning is not only delicious but affordable. In fact, it's our option for the best budget choice.
This carefully crafted blend implements garlic, citrus, and sweet flavors to create an attractive taste perfect for all kinds of foods and recipes. However, some of the best things to put this on include avocado toast, stir fry, meat and meatless dishes, grain bowls, and wraps - just to name a few.
We also love it on the basics: beef, chicken, pork, and seafood. It's excellent for grilling, but you can also use it in other forms of cooking.
Even though it's based in a type of salt, this product is non-GMO - along with gluten-free and certified paleo for those of you on a specific diet.Some other ingredients in this seasoning are onion, sea salt, black pepper, red bell pepper, lemon peel, parsley, and garlic oil. The ingredients are mixed perfectly and designed so that you can just shake it on your food like regular salt and pepper.
3. McCormick Garlic and Onion, Black Pepper and Sea Salt All Purpose Seasoning
McCormick doesn't achieve success with one product and then quit the game. They've created numerous popular spices, and one of their next best is their garlic and onion all purpose seasoning.
What's better than a seasoning that tells you its flavor profile right in its name? With so many different all purpose seasonings on the market, it can be frustrating to have to read each and every label. With this seasoning, you know exactly what you're getting.
The main components in this all purpose seasoning are garlic, onion, black pepper, and sea salt. Beyond that, you get the perfect blend of heat and herbal flavors - making it great across breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
This gluten-free, certified paleo, and non-GMO product is convenient, easy to use, and delivers a delicious burst of flavor. Use it with beef, chicken, and seafood, and top off your dishes prior to grilling, roasting, or baking.Plus, the easy-open lid has a side for sprinkling and another side for measuring. How much easier could it get to have great tasting meals?
4. Special Shit Premium All Purpose Seasoning
Don't take this company's comical approach to its name to mean it doesn't take its spices seriously. Special Sh*t offers a long line of seasoning, and not one of their products falls short. That's why we had to include their premium all purpose seasoning.
This seasoning adds a savory flavor to any food that you just can't beat. The finely ground spices deliver an even and smooth taste - without the hassle of large chunks or clumps areas of seasoning.
Despite the harsh name, this seasoning is simply gourmet in terms of quality. It's ideal for all kinds of meats, including steaks, pork, chicken, and seafood. But don't forget to include your veggies; this stuff is awesome on those, too.
The ingredients include many of the common ones you will find in other all purpose seasoning, such as salt, pepper, garlic, and onion. However, some of the standout flavors include meat tenderizer, paprika, chili powder, and even sugar.Gluten-free and no MSG, you can confidently enjoy this seasoning without worrying about artificial ingredients, flavors, or coloring.
5. Goya Adobo with Pepper All Purpose Seasoning
Whether it runs in your blood or you're just a huge fan, sometimes we all just need a little Latin flavor in our kitchen. Nothing can beat the authentic taste of Latin foods and seasonings, so Goya did us a favor by delivering an all purpose seasoning made just for that reason.
Ideal for both quick and slow cook recipes, Goya's Adobo tastes good on just about everything. Although it does present a Latin background, you don't have to cook Latin food to use it. Throw it on your everyday chicken breast, burgers, and steaks, too.The typical salt, pepper, and garlic flavors come together with turmeric to create a unique blend that most all purpose seasonings don't include. This Goya product is authentically Latino, gluten-free, and is an excellent savory source of flavor in your kitchen.
6. Simply Organic Italian Seasoning
In a world full of artificial flavors, processed foods, and chemical preservatives, it's nice to know that there are companies out there whose goal is to make authentic, real, and organic products.
Simply Organic Italian Seasoning is a specific kind of all purpose seasoning that focuses on Italian ingredients, herbs, and spices. The blend mainly uses dried oregano, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, sage, and basil.
If you have ever used any of these herbs, you know that they deliver a potent and appealing scent. Many of the herbs are often used either alone or in various combinations within Italian dishes. But, Simply Organic did all the work for you and put them together for the perfect blend.
While this specific all purpose seasoning may be slightly more limited compared to others we've talked about, it makes an excellent flavor enhancer for Italian dishes such as pasta, lasagna, and chicken recipes.
You can also add it to homemade red and white sauces for a unique mix of sweet, spicy, and sharp tastes.
Of course, as the name suggests, Simply Organic uses only finely picked, high-quality herbs. Every ingredient is certified organic, kosher, and non-irradiated. Pure, strong flavors are important to this company.You can certainly find other Italian blends, but if the organic promise is one that is close to your heart, then this might be the perfect seasoning for you.
7. Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning
Next on our list, we take a quick jump from Italy over to Greece to explore another country's version of all purpose seasoning. Cavender's Greek seasoning draws on the unique ingredients found in the Greek culture to create a captivating experience for your taste buds.
Boasting an "ancient Greek formula," this all purpose seasoning blend applies some of the classics to start out: salt, black pepper, garlic, and onion powder. From there, the concoction introduces oregano, sugar, and parsley.
A slightly mysterious blend of flavors, the packaging of this product lists the final ingredients as "five other spices," leaving us to wonder what creates such a fantastic flavor.
Nevertheless, this spice mix is a go-to favorite by tons of happy customers. It's a wonderful pairing for foods like beef roasts, pork roasts, lamb, and steaks, and is even excellent on classic chicken breasts.Cavender's is so confident that you'll love their seasoning that they sell it in huge tubs. If that's not saying you'll use it a lot, we're not sure what does.
8. Simply Organic Spice Right Everyday Blends All Purpose Seasoning
Simply Organic hits our list for a second time with its all purpose seasoning. After focusing on the Italian blend that this company provides, we couldn't help but dive headfirst into its all purpose seasoning blend.
Simply Organic sticks to its commitment to using only organic, high-quality ingredients. This blend not only delivers a robust and potent flavor, but it also sources sustainable and pure products. A 100% certified organic line, this all purpose seasoning extracts from reliable sources with no toxic pesticides, no irradiation, and no GMOs.
In this blend, you can find common ingredients such as onion, garlic, and black pepper. Beyond that, you get hints of tomato, bell pepper, carrot, orange peel, sage, cumin, thyme, rosemary, and more. And remember - each and every one of these ingredients are completely organic.
Simply Organic states that this particular blend is best on baked fish, soups, and vegetables. However, we have found that you can use it on several products beyond that, including pork, chicken, beef, and eggs.Plus, it's salt free, making it a healthier alternative to other spice blends.
9. Mike's All Purpose Seasoning
Mike's brand knows that when you love a product, you need to get a lot of it, so you don't run out too quickly. That's why they sell their Mississippi-made all purpose seasoning in a large container - just for your convenience.
Mike's All Purpose Original Seasoning appeals to your taste buds with a savory taste that's perfect for foods of all kinds, from beats and seafood to veggies and even popcorn.
Blended into a fine powder, you can easily mix this seasoning in with sauces and gravies, use it as a dry rub, or simply sprinkle it over a chicken breast before popping it into the oven.
Some of the more traditional ingredients in this seasoning include salt, onion, garlic, and paprika. Users will also love the added parsley, brown sugar, citric acid, red bell peppers, tomatoes, and molasses with some paprika for a final kick.Though the list of ingredients is a bit extensive, it is well-balanced without overpowering dishes. It's just enough to enhance the taste of your meal.
10. Riley's Award-Winning All Purpose Seasoning
Nothing says high quality quite like an award-winning label, right? Riley's makes our list for its 100% pure ingredient recipe that has quite literally earned recognition - along with rave reviews.
This long-standing seasoning may have been around forever, but don't dare call it washed up. It holds strong today as well as it did when it was first created.
If you want balanced spices, unique flavor, and the finest of blends, you need to try Riley's. You can use it on just about everything, like meats, fish, poultry, soups, gravies, pizza, sauces, veggies - anything you can cook up in the kitchen, you can use with Riley's.Some of the main ingredients include salt, garlic, onion, and black pepper. Though the company isn't completely transparent on the rest of the ingredients, it continues to prove itself through taste alone.
What is All Purpose Seasoning?
All purpose seasoning is a flavorful blend of spices and herbs that come together to add extra taste and a little bit of a flare to your everyday meal. Like your average spice, such as salt and pepper, it kicks up the aroma and savor of whole foods.
The best all purpose seasonings are available through various manufacturers and companies, so no one blend will be exactly the same. A few ingredients you can likely count on to be common among all of them include:
- Black Pepper
Aside from these staples, you will also find an array of dried herbs and savory spices in these palatable blends. Depending on the brand you choose, you may find some that include some more zesty ingredients like lemon, dill, and bell pepper.
Or, you can try others that implement the unique tastes of celery, paprika, oregano, and thyme.
As we mentioned earlier, no two all purpose seasonings will be exactly the same. While many of them differ only slightly, we recommend reading the ingredients label to know exactly what you're putting on your food.
For example, if you're not a huge fan of lemon-flavored food, then you should stay clear of all purpose seasonings that have lemon as an ingredient. The same goes for spicy - avoid all purpose seasoning that uses paprika or cayenne pepper.
Why Should I Use All Purpose Seasoning?
There is a host of benefits that come with using all purpose seasoning in your kitchen over traditional seasonings. If you're not sure if you're team all purpose yet, take a look at these positive points.
Ease of Use
All purpose seasoning could not be easier to use. Since it's versatile enough for a wide range of foods, there's little to no guesswork involved in selecting which spices or herbs will make your food taste best.
In fact, many all purpose seasonings will include what types of foods you should try them on. Put away your phone, because there's no need to Google which spice is best for your backyard barbeque.
Simply grab one bottle, shake it on your food, and you're ready to get cooking. All purpose seasoning makes it easy for anyone to create great meals and exquisite recipes - even if you don't have much cooking experience.
Improves Food Taste
The goal of any spice or herb is to make your food taste better. Sure, we could all eat a steak minus the seasoning or serve up some shrimp fresh and plain - we would survive.
But those who truly appreciate food know just how significant an impact the right blend of spices can have. They take plain old broccoli and transform it from a vegetable into a delicious side dish. They completely bolster the juicy flavor or a perfectly grilled steak. They turn mashed potatoes from blah to brilliant.
If you need just one good reason to try all purpose seasoning on your food, it's the sole idea that these spices, herbs, and flavors work together to make your home cooking better - and with minimal effort on your part.
Minimizes Cooking Errors
Whether you work from a good old fashioned cookbook, or you prefer to try recipes from various online resources, you know the struggle that comes with following a recipe. Everything has a measurement, and if you're new to cooking, you might stress over following every item perfectly.
This stress includes seasonings.
We've all used that one recipe that adds five or more different seasonings to the recipe. It calls for a tablespoon of this, half a teaspoon of that, and just a pinch of the other thing - whatever a "pinch" is supposed to mean.
All purpose seasoning takes the guesswork and perfectionism out of cooking and makes your life so much easier. It's far too easy to accidentally grab the tablespoon instead of the teaspoon, and shaky hands coupled with rushing can lead to spills and too much salt.
When you use all purpose seasoning, you greatly minimize your chances of screwing things up. The blend already has the perfect amount of everything you need, from salt and pepper to dried onion, garlic, and more.
Plus, you never have to worry about not having a particular spice on hand. With all purpose seasoning, even if it doesn't have every single spice the recipe is calling for, it's already designed to give you a full flavor spectrum.
Don't kill yourself over those specific measurements - use all purpose seasoning and let the manufacturers do the work for you.
As far as nutrition goes, you won't be reaching for your all purpose seasoning to track your macros or increase your protein. However, there are a few health benefits that come along with a large number of all purpose blends.
For starters, all purpose blends use mostly fat-free spices and herbs, so they contain little to no fat. Therefore, anyone who's on a diet doesn't have to stray away from making their meals a little tastier.
Secondly, all purpose spices are also low in carbs. Again, that's excellent news for someone who tracks their meals or is trying to lose weight.
Finally, although many all purpose seasonings use salt as a staple ingredient, there are many available that offer low-salt or salt-free options. High salt intake can cause detrimental health conditions such as high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke. It can also cause bloating and, ultimately, discomfort for some people following a meal.
While some may believe you can't have a flavorful meal with salt, all purpose seasoning proves otherwise with healthier alternatives that taste fantastic.
Uses of All Purpose Seasoning
There's a reason why they call this kind of seasoning "all purpose;" it's because it has so many purposes! While you may not use it on absolutely everything, you can use it on quite a lot.
All purpose seasoning is most often used with savory foods. This list can include typical household meals and sides such as:
Easy enough, right? Of course, you can always get creative and try other things. That's the beauty of cooking: there's no one correct way to make a particular dish. It's all about experimenting and trying something new.
For example, one not-so-common way to use all purpose seasoning is to add it to flour where you're breading something. So, when you're breading chicken to bake in the oven, add some all purpose seasoning to the flour to give it a little extra flavor.
You can certainly add it directly to the chicken, but this way, you won't lose seasoning when you dip the cutlet in the egg wash.
You can also sprinkle some all purpose seasoning on side dishes like french fries, tater tots, and home fries. Try using a little the next time you make baked or mashed potatoes, too.
How to Make Your Own All Purpose Seasoning
All purpose seasoning is an excellent solution for anyone who's not quite sure how to use common spices throughout various recipes. It's also a great way to save space and money because it packs all of the different spices and herbs into one container.
But what if you know a little bit about cooking, and you already have a pantry full of these ingredients?
Rather than purchasing one of the top-notch all purpose seasonings we've talked about today, you can actually make your own using the spices and herbs that you have in your home. Here is a classic all purpose seasoning recipe that you can add your own twist to.
All Purpose Seasoning Blend by The Kitchn
There are tons of recipes out there for all purpose seasoning blends, but we were big fans of this one by The Kitchn because it has a common base that you can add to for more flavor, spice, and heat.
To start, gather the following ingredients:
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Ground Coriander
- Dried Dill
- Red Pepper Flakes
We can already see from the list above that we have some unique ingredients that were not included in the all purpose seasonings we found on the market. So, you can be sure that this one will be special!
For beginners, we'll list out the measurements for each ingredient. This recipe calls for two tablespoons of kosher salt and paprika. Then, we have one tablespoon of black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder—next, two teaspoons of ground coriander and dried dill. And finally, one teaspoon of red pepper flakes for a little extra heat.
If you like to toy around in the kitchen, this is the part where you can experiment with different measurements. For example, if you like your seasoning to be heavier on the garlic, you can increase that particular seasoning. Likewise, if you want your spice to really pack a punch, add some more red pepper flakes and paprika.
Simply add the ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine. You can keep them sealed in a glass jar or a shaker for future use.
As you can see from our discussion today, the best all purpose seasonings truly do serve almost all of your cooking needs. From meats and seafood to pasta, salad, and more, you can add these seasoning blends to your favorite dishes for a bit of a spin on the norm.
Whether you're new to the world of cooking or simply want to switch up your spice game, all purpose seasoning is definitely the way to go for all foods.
Check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- ALL-PURPOSE LATIN FLAVOR: Loisa Organic Adobo is a traditional all-purpose Latin seasoning with only real ingredients.
- HOW TO USE: Loisa Organic Adobo adds a perfect kick of Latin flavor to chicken, steak, fish, shrimp, veggies, anything - just shake or rub then cook.
- REAL INGREDIENTS, REAL COLOR, REAL FLAVOR: An all natural, better quality update to the classic all-purpose Latin spice. Made with only organic spices -- garlic, pepper, turmeric, oregano -- and sea salt (the healthiest of salts, with no need for dyes or over-processing).
- DIETARY INFORMATION: USDA Organic, NO-MSG, No Preservatives, No Artificial Colors, No Artificial Flavors, Vegan, Certified Kosher.
- FEEDING TRADITION: Loisa is a purpose-driven company set on feeding tradition by making honest, convenient, better quality Latin foods. And we're just getting started.
- ALL-PURPOSE SEASONING - Simply Organic All-Purpose Seasoning is an essential addition to any kitchen. Each ingredient is selected to enhance the flavor of your savory dishes, from soups and stews to sauces and gravies.
- ADAPTABLE INGREDIENT - If you only have one seasoning in your pantry, this is the mix to get. Use it to transform any dishes you’d like: it’s flavorful, convenient, and goes great with just about everything.
- ORGANIC INGREDIENTS - Our all purpose seasoning is made with quality herbs and spices, including onion, black pepper, garlic, and parsley. Each ingredient in this product is certified organic, kosher, and non-irradiated.
- PURE AND POTENT FLAVOR - Simply Organic believes in pure and potent flavor grown at the source. Our rigorous standards mean that we know precisely what you’re getting, and from where. All of our products are grown and processed without the use of toxic pesticides, irradiation, or GMOs.
- ABOUT US - Simply Organic is a 100% certified organic line of spices, seasoning mixes, and baking flavors. Our pure, potent spices, seasonings and extracts bring real bite to everything you make, eat and share. Our goal, through our Simply Organic Giving Fund, is to help the millions of food insecure by not only providing funds and support to make organic food more accessible, but also in developing the next generation of leaders in sustainable and socially just organic agriculture.
- Maggi Season-up! All Purpose Powdered Seasoning 1 pack of 200g (7oz)
- AWARD WINNING ALL PURPOSE SEASONING: Mis Rubin’s White Magic chicken rub and vegetable seasoning has been a household staple in the south for over 80 years. White Magic is known for its unique savory flavor with just a hint of citrus that harkens back to the founder’s Greek roots.
- EVEN MAKES VEGGIES TASTE GOOD: This savory spice mix is so tasty it even makes vegetables taste good. Use it on your potato dishes, greens, grilled onions, peppers, corn on the cob, cauliflower, beans, and more.
- IMPOSSIBLE TO MISUSE: Whether you are cooking for one, preparing a week’s worth of meal prep or hosting a giant party, Mis Rubin’s White Magic veggie and chicken seasoning and pork rub will transform your meat. Feel confident smothering your meat in our gourmet spices to create an incredible crisp skin packed with flavor. You can’t go wrong.
- GOURMET SPICES: Our Alabama dry rub uses only the finest herbs and spices and none of the bad stuff. White Magic All Purpose Seasoning is non gluten, No MSG, Low Sodium Seasoning. Stock your kitchen pantry with wholesome goodness.
- MOUTH WATERING FLAVOR: Our southern take on Greek seasoning creates the perfect amount of savory flavor on any meat with a slight hint of citrus. The strength of White Magic is its versatility. It’s truly an all-purpose seasoning best served as a dry rub on fish, seafood, vegetables, grilled chicken, poultry, pulled pork, chops, and pork tenderloin. White Magic will take your gourmet southern comfort food to the next level. It’s even great as a popcorn seasoning!
- 1.2 Ounce Bottle
- A tasty, salt-free blend of flavorful seasonings, ready to shake on any savory dish
- All-Natural, Kosher
- Frontier is a member owned co-op, responsible to people and planet
- FLAVORFUL SEASONING SALT: Borsari’s award winning sea salt is infused with fresh basil, rosemary and garlic, and balanced with ground pepper and nutmeg.
- COMPLIMENTS EVERY DISH: The perfect seasoning for almost any meal. Can be used as steak seasoning, chicken seasoning, vegetable seasoning, or anything else that needs a boost of flavor. Also a great way to get kids to eat their broccoli!
- GOURMET AND AUTHENTIC: Borsari’s Original Blend is an authentic Italian recipe that is crafted in small batches and cured over a period of days to bring out the best flavor. Our one-of-a-kind and extremely versatile seasoning is perfect for every pantry – it also makes an excellent addition to a gift basket! Also makes a great gift for men on father’s day!
- WHOLE 30 AND PALEO FRIENDLY: Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Vegan, Organic, Keto Friendly, Whole 30 Friendly, Paleo Friendly, No Carb, No Preservatives, No MSG. Also great for weight watchers food!
- STORABLE SHAKER BOTTLE: Whether using for grilling, roasting, or simply sprinkling on, this 4oz shaker bottle makes it easy to add Borsari’s seasoning to meat or salad and seal again. Can be stacked on top of other Borsari seasonings for easy storage.
- ON YOUR TABLE FOR GENERATIONS - Morton has been a household staple since 1848.
- PERFECT BLEND OF NATURAL SPICES-a 100% MSG-free mix of onion, garlic, salt, pepper and other natural spices that bring out the flavor of foods without overpowering them
- A LITTLE SPICE IN YOUR LIFE - sprinkle on chicken, fish or veggies to bring out the flavor without overpowering the dish
- FOR ALL SEASONS - No pun intended! Whether it’s your next dinner party or a night in, Morton has it covered
- JUST A PINCH - That’s all it takes! Take your meal to the next level with Morton.