Pizza is a classic dish that originates from Italy and is now enjoyed worldwide. It has many variations, styles and toppings making it a favourite in many households. The ingredients of the pizza heavily influence the taste of it.
Whether the dough is specific or the toppings are unique, ultimately what brings the sauce together is its pizza sauce and base. This brings out the flavour of the pizza and if done right can merge the toppings and dough together perfectly.
Though it is unclear whether or not a pizza base or sauce was added to the dish, nowadays if a pizza doesn't have pizza sauce on it, it very well may be mistaken for something else entirely.
The best pick is the Pastorelli Pizza Sauce Italian Chef. It is free from preservatives, corn syrup and comes in a BPA-free can. In terms of flavour, this product has a rich and zesty tomato flavour that works with many types of pizzas - despite the toppings you may use. Be mindful with this product, however, as it contains cheese in it and is not suitable for vegans or individuals who are lactose intolerant.
The best budget is Don Pepino Pizza Sauce. It is made from fresh vine-ripened tomatoes, is free from preservatives, starches, gums, added sugars, artificial colour, fillers or citric acid and is not spicy which is versatile and suitable for all guests. This also means you can spice up the sauce with your own herbs and spices for a more unique taste.
Quick Comparison: Top 10 Best Pizza Sauce
1. Pastorelli Pizza Sauce Italian Chef - Editor's Pick
The first pizza sauce in our list is the Pastorelli Pizza Sauce. This sauce has a rich, zesty and tomato flavour - which is the ultimate classic flavour of pizza sauce.
It is made from tomato puree, canola oil, extra virgin olive oil, pecorino romano cheese, garlic, spices and citric acid.
This product is suitable for those who eat a gluten-free diet and are free from preservatives and corn syrup.
The can that the sauce comes is made with BPA-free ingredients so you won't have to worry about consuming chemicals you aren't aware of.
To use, spread the sauce onto your pizza dough before you include your toppings and bake with your pizza in the oven. You can also use this product in sandwiches and pasta, making this sauce versatile and easy to use.
Per serving, this sauce has 40 calories per serving (which is a quarter of the cup), 310mg of sodium and 5g of sugar which is not too high. Be mindful about the other ingredients you will be using on the pizza as you may very quickly add much more sugar and salt than you would like to consume.
2. Don Pepino Pizza Sauce - Flavorful & Spicy
The next item in our list is the Don Pepino Pizza Sauce. This sauce is made from fresh vine-ripened tomatoes, garlic, salt, spices and pure corn oil which has been linked to lowering heart disease thanks to it heart-healthy compounds such as vitamin E and linoleic acid.
This product also claims to be cholesterol-free which is great if you are mindful about how much cholesterol you consume.
Don Pepino Pizza Sauce is also free from preservatives, starches, gums, added sugar, artificial colour, fillers and citric acid, making this pizza sauce especially great for healthy family meals.
If you prefer milder sauces that allow you to experiment with more toppings on your pizza, this pizza sauce will be ideal. If you enjoy a more flavourful and spicy sauce, this may not be suitable for you unless you add your own spices to the sauce before spreading it on your pizza.Each quarter-cup serving has 35 calories, 3g of sugar, 0mg of cholesterol and 120mg of sodium - making this sauce a great healthy and guilt-free option.
3. Muir Glen Organic Pizza Sauce
Next up is the pizza sauce by Muir Glen. This sauce is made with simple ingredients such as organic extra virgin olive oil, onions, sea salt, tomatoes, basil, oregano, black pepper and garlic - giving this sauce a great traditional and versatile flavour.
The tomatoes that are used in this pizza sauce are organic and made in California. They are certified by USDA and are non-GMO Project Verified.
If you are particularly conscious about the environment and the planet, you’ll be pleased to know that the Muir Glen Pizza Sauce used ethical and organic farming to obtain its ingredients.
Muir Glen has also partnered with UC Davis and The Xerces Society to create healthy habitats for bees on their farms by 2022. There are 45 calories per serving, 250mg of sodium, 0g of cholesterol and 3g of sugar.
4. Rao’s Homemade All Natural Pizza Sauce
This all-natural pizza sauce uses both cherry and whole peeled tomatoes in its recipe.
A unique element to this sauce is that it is also made from carrots - leaving a slightly sweet aftertaste.
Onions, salt, garlic, basil and dried oregano are also used for its traditional and fresh flavour.
There are 40 calories per serving, 150mg of sodium and 2g of sugars. This makes it a great option for those who are conscious of their weight and health.
A pizza sauce like this is ideal if you are going to be cooking for a large group of people who all may have different dietary needs.
5. Chef Boyardee Pizza Sauce with Cheese
Next up is the Chef Boyardee Pizza Sauce. All of the items mentioned thus far in this article have all been very similar in style and have similar ingredients in all of their recipes, with only some small distinguishing factors between them.
This is not the case with Chef Boyardee, however, as this pizza sauce is also made with cheese, adding to the richness of the flavour and thick texture of the sauce.
The added cheese gives you the option of saving time in the kitchen by foregoing to add cheese onto the topping if you wish so. This can also help you save money as you won’t have to buy an extra topping if this is the case.
The sauce is made from tomato puree, soybean oil, cheddar cheese, salt, modified corn starch, cream and natural flavourings.With 35 calories per serving, 350mg of sodium and 3g of sugar, the Chef Boyardee Pizza Sauce with Cheese is a great option in the kitchen, as long as you’re not planning on baking a pizza for anyone with an intolerance to lactose or vegan.
Be mindful with this product, however, as it contains xanthan gum, modified corn starch and calcium chloride in it which could be linked to health issues if consumed too much.
6. Contadina Pizza Sauce Bottle
The Contadina Pizza Sauce Bottle is not only useful for when you want to simply squirt on the sauce onto some dough, but it can also be used as a dip for breadsticks and garlic bread.
This sauce is made from tomato puree which is made from water and tomato paste, corn syrup, modified corn starch, salt, onion powder, natural flavours, soybean oil, spices, carrot fibre, citric acid, garlic powder and a preservative called potassium sorbate.
Though this preservative ensures that the lifespan of this pizza sauce is long if left unopened, it may be something to watch out for.
There is 340mg of sodium per serving (which is a quarter cup), 2g of sugar and 30 calories. The flavour of this sauce is balanced where you can still taste the garlic and onion but it is not too overpowering.
7. Godfather's Pizza Sauce
The next item on our list is a restaurant-style Italian pizza sauce and has been selling its recipe for over 40 years.
To use this sauce, pour it onto the pizza dough or crust. Add any toppings and cheese that you desire on top of the sauce and bake the pizza until it is ready.
If you will be using this sauce for dipping, make sure it is warm before consuming. To heat up you can use a pan or a microwave - just make sure the sauce is bubbling hot beforehand.
This product has 25 calories per serving 270mg of sodium, 3g of sugar and no cholesterol. It is made from natural ingredients such as tomato puree, basil, onion, salt, citric acid, oregano and spices for a tasty and versatile flavour.
8. 365 Everyday Value Organic Spicy Pizza Sauce
This pizza sauce is sold at whole food markets because it values the ingredients it contains and as a brand 365 Everyday Value believes that the best ingredients should be used in cooking.
If you are very conscious about this, keep on reading.
This brand also takes care not to add any extra sugar to its recipe and is low fat.
Not on that, but this sauce is also suitable for vegans, is certified organic and is made with great tasting organic olive oil.
It is made with the traditional ingredients you would normally find and expect in pizza sauces, but it also has organic chile pepper, organic black pepper, and organic dried basil for extra flavour. There are 40 calories per serving with 230mg of sodium and 3g of sugar.
9. Stanislaus Full Red Fully Prepared Pizza Sauce
This sauce is smooth in texture which is great if you can't stand chunks. It is also mildly seasoned which is great for adding your own spices and herbs to when you feel like experimenting in the kitchen.
The tomatoes that are used in this sauce are ripened on their vines, being the first choice when it comes to New York-style pizzas.
It is neither overly sour nor sweet making it a go-to option for many people. Because of this, this sauce could be a fine option if you have a food business.
This sauce is made from tomatoes, water, natural citric acid, granulated garlic, oregano, black pepper, extra virgin olive oil and sunflower oil. There are 40 calories per serving, 260mg of sodium and 3g of sugar.
10. Casa Visco Pizza Sauce
Last but not least we have the Casa Visco Pizza Sauce which is low in fat and cholesterol-free.
It is also made from all-natural ingredients such as crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, fresh onions, soya oil, oregano, spices and olive oil.This sauce has 30 calories, 170mg of sodium and 4g of sugar. Though the sodium is low, the sugars are a little higher than some other pizza sauces on the market.
Things to Consider Before Buying Pizza Sauce
Pizza sauce is simply essential to pizzas. They offer great flavour to the meal and also allow for the toppings to stick on the pizza and bake into it nicely - so you will not find yourself dropping your toppings when you try to bite into a slice.
Though there are many types and flavours of pizza sauce that are available on the market today, we believe that traditional Italian inspired pizza sauces that are made from tomatoes are the safest and most versatile option you could go for.
This is because it leaves room for you to experiment with toppings and use the same pizza sauce on several different types of pizzas if you wish to do so.
As pizza is enjoyed and loved worldwide, we believe that among the many products available to you, you should be able to find the most perfect one that belongs in your pantry. Here are some things to consider so you can find the most suitable product for you.
Of course, one of the most important aspects of any pizza sauce is its flavour. Ultimately any other factor may not matter if the pizza sauce itself does not taste up to par with your expectations.
As mentioned before, we recommend going for a traditional tomato flavour due to how versatile it is with a range of toppings.
You can go for meaty, vegetarian, cheesy and fish toppings with a tomato base, whereas with a barbeque or pesto you may need to be more mindful of the toppings you use that will match those tastes.
A good jar of pizza sauce will have a strong tomato flavour where you can also taste the herbs included.
Many pizza sauces on the market also use garlic and onions in their recipe, and it is great if you can taste these ingredients through the sauce too. Make sure it’s not too overpowering, however, as it shouldn’t take away from the toppings or the crust of the pizza.
The next very important area to consider will be the ingredients that are in your bottle or jar of pizza sauce.
Of course, you must be aware of what you are consuming, and the easiest way to do that is by checking the ingredients list at the back of the bottle.
Pizza sauce is fantastic as many brands on the market are very healthy and free from additives or preservatives. Of course, even though this may be the case with some products, pizza sauce is typically not a product that has unhealthy ingredients in it.
Even the sugar, sodium and calories are pretty low as long as you stick to the recommended serving size.
Not only is it important to check the ingredients to know what you are consuming, but it is also important because you'll know whether the product is suitable for anyone who may have certain dietary needs or allergies.
It also can give you a great idea of the flavour that the product will add to your pizza, which is great if you're going to try a new product for the first time.
We think it’s great if you can find a product that is versatile and can be used in various ways, and this is no different when it comes to pizza sauces.
We also believe that you should be able to have fun in the kitchen and experiment with the ingredients that you already have in your pantry.
This being said, we find that many pizza sauces can also be used as a pasta or spaghetti sauce. What makes pizza sauce so great is that it is easy to use and you can make it your own by adding your own herbs and spices to it, if you choose to.
By doing this, you can also use the sauce for dipping breadsticks, garlic bread and other party-foods and side dishes into.
Some pizza sauces are better at this than others, and it will most likely be specified on the bottle or jar if the sauce is suitable for other dishes and meals. As a tip, make sure that the sauce is hot and cooked before serving in any form.
How to Use
In almost all cases, you will simply need to pour the desired amount of sauce onto your pizza base/crust and spread it around evenly.
After you have added your toppings of choice, place the pizza in the oven and bake until it is ready.
The only other way you would use this sauce is by adding it to pasta or if you will be using it as a dip. In both cases, cook the sauce until it is boiling hot.
You can either use a microwave or the stove to do this. Once done, pour into a bowl or over your pasta and enjoy.
There should be directions on your bottle telling you the best way to store the product. In most cases, you can leave the jar or bottle in a dry safe place like your pantry or a cupboard until you are ready to use it.
As a general rule of thumb, if you open the pizza sauce, you must keep it refrigerated from then on as the sauce can easily go bad otherwise.
If you have a can of pizza sauce and have some of the sauce left over, we recommend putting it in a reusable and resealable glass jar and refrigerating it until you are ready to use it again.
The lifespan of the pizza sauce depends on various aspects, but it especially concerns whether or not the sauce has preservatives in it.
If there are preservatives, the sauce may be good for 18-24 months after you have brought it, as long as you don't leave it open. Usually, there will be an expiration date on the packaging that you can use as a guide.
If you opt for more 'healthy' and natural sauces that include organic and simple ingredients, the lifespan of the product will probably be a lot lower than a sauce with preservatives and chemicals in it. If this is the case, you can typically expect your unopened pizza sauce to be good for 3-6 months before using it.
One again, as a reminder, keep the sauce refrigerated once opened to ensure the longevity of the sauce.
This is a crucial aspect to consider especially if you are going to be cooking for guests. Each individual has different dietary requirements which are critical to consider.
Be mindful if you or anyone you are cooking for is vegan, vegetarian, eats a gluten-free diet, or is intolerant to lactose. Most pizza sauces are suitable for all of these requirements but it's always good to make sure just in case.
There are now some pizza sauces also include milk and cheese in it for a more unique flavour, but these won't be suitable for anyone who is lactose intolerant.
You may find information about how suitable a product is through the labels on the front of the packaging but if you can’t find the information you need there, turn to the ingredients list at the back of the product and decipher what is suitable for who.
For example, anything containing cheese, milk or cream is not suitable for vegans or lactose intolerant individuals, and anything that has wheat or has been mixed with wheat will not be suitable for those who are gluten-free.
This is important as the last thing you’d want is to send someone to the hospital just because you chose the wrong pizza sauce!
Thanks to the tomatoes and other ingredients in the pizza sauce, there is some nutritional benefit from eating the sauce.
Though this is somewhat limited because you will only be using a small amount of the pizza sauce each time, it is important to know which vitamins and minerals you will be gaining by consuming your beloved pizza.
Before we get into that, however, it is great to know that the majority of pizza sauces on the market are in fact very low in calories. This is great if you are watching your waistline, but you must be careful as this is only the case as long as you stick to the serving size that the product suggests.
Tomatoes are high in vitamin C and antioxidants which are great for improving immunity and reducing certain illnesses such as heart disease and cancer.
Other ingredients that you can typically find in pizza sauces such as basil and oregano are also great for health. They contain polyphenols which are also antioxidants that are linked to lowering the risk and delaying breast cancer.
Not all pizza sauce on the market include olive oil, but those that do also offer some nutritional benefits.
Extra virgin olive oil has been linked to preventing strokes, reducing your chances of getting heart disease and can even lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.
As mentioned, the amount you will be getting of these vitamins is low when it comes to pizza sauce, but it is always good to know if the things you consume will give you any type of nutritional benefit regardless.
Spicy or Mild?
The majority of pizza sauces tend to go for a safe option, leaving room for you to add your own spices and ingredients to the pre-existing sauce if you wish to do so. Therefore, most pizza sauces on the market are considered to be pretty mild.
Not only is this versatile, but it also means that you can add a wide variety of toppings to your pizza without it tasting odd alongside the pizza sauce.
With that being said, spicier pizza sauce options are available also. These are great for those who are more adventurous with their meals.
Be mindful with this, however, as this may not be suitable for those who are sensitive to spice or who have stomach issues - as spicy food can negatively trigger this.
The last area to consider is the packaging of the pizza sauce. This is especially important because of the circumstances of our planet as it currently stands.
The overproduction of plastic is crowding our planet and our oceans resulting in damaged sea life. It could take 100 years before the plastic is decomposed and the damage it causes our environment is irreversible.
The easiest thing we could do to prevent further damage to our planet is to use glass containers and jars over plastic ones and to reuse the packaging we already have.
If this is important to you, we recommend opting for pizza sauces that come in glass jars or metal cans over the ones that come in plastic bottles. Ideally, out of the cans and jars, we would recommend the jars as they are reusable and sturdy.
You can use them to store more food in or to use as storage if you wish to.
ConclusionPizza sauce is essential for when you want to make pizza at home with ease. It is easy to use, tasty and can be suitable for a range of dietary requirements either you or your guests may have.
It also means you can enjoy the taste of pizza without spending a lot of money on ordering it from a restaurant and sacrificing your health along the way.
We hope that through this article you know of the kinds of pizza sauces that are available on the market and what to look out for to find the best store bought pizza sauce that is perfect for you and your family.
Also, check out some more pizza sauces that are available at the Amazon right now:
- FLAVOR IS OUR SECRET SAUCE: Fresh, organic tomatoes, sweet basil and earthy oregano pureed into a perfectly smooth, supercharged pizza flavor
- RECIPES FOR DAYS: We have the mind of a chef so warn your taste buds because they are in for a treat. We love how our pizza sauce adds a supercharged pizza flavor suitable for doughs of all types.
- MADE WITH FRESH INGREDIENTS: All of our sauces were made by cultivating the finest and freshest ingredients to transform any of your meals into your own masterpiece.
- GLUTEN-FREE, 0 SUGAR ADDED: We only cook in small batches using the absolute best ingredients with no artificial flavors.
- MAKES FOR A GREAT GIFT: You can create a beautiful basket filled with Sonoma Gourmet's products. Consider adding our traditional plum tomato marinara or one of our other delicious varieties. Maybe even add in some of our gourmet cold-pressed olive oils or bloody mary mix..
- LEGENDARY TASTE & MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE: Our pizza sauce beats the leading brands in blind taste tests. If you don’t absolutely love our product, send any unused portions back for a full refund!
- A TRUE ITALIAN PIZZA SAUCE: This classic Italian sauce recipe sources it’s tomatoes from San Marzano, Italy. Experience the best tomatoes and ingredients on Earth combined to create the best tasting sauce on the planet.
- A HEALTHY & DELICIOUS CHOICE: Our key ingredient, San Marzano tomatoes from Italy, gives our sauce a distinct taste that resonates in traditional Italian Pizzas. Using fresh ingredients ensures that we maintain a premium taste you would come to expect from Due Amici. Our Pizza Sauce is Vegan, Non-GMO, and contains NO additives. We are ALL NATURAL! Our amazing sauce is Paleo Friendly, low carb, and compatible with Keto lifestyles!
- VERSATILE PIZZA FLAVOR THAT GOES GREAT WITH: Use our premium sauce on your favorite pizza creations, as a dipping sauce, with your favorite lasagna recipe, on cooked veggies, or on top of your pasta dishes.
- ADD TO CART NOW: It’s time to let your taste buds live a little. Add to cart now and forget the sauce brands using bland, boring, and tasteless ingredients. Due Amici sauces are here to save the day, 1 bottle of sauce at a time.
- 100% ITALIAN TOMATOES: Mutti Pizza Sauce blends sun-ripened tomatoes with aromatic basil and oregano to provide a delicious ready-to-use sauce that boasts rich flavor and thick texture for great tasting pizza every time.
- REMARKABLY FRESH: This pizza sauce is made from the finest non-GMO Project Verified, Italian ingredients, never any additives or preservatives, then packed into a non-BPA can to preserve their fresh taste.
- VERSATILE COOKING: Mutti Tomato Sauce has a rich flavor and thick texture perfect for spreading on pizza and flatbreads. Try it as a dipping sauce or even to make an olive tapenade. The sauce is the best kept secret for cooking.
- VEGAN FRIENDLY & GLUTEN FREE: Mutti Tomato Pizza Sauce is a vegan and gluten-free food. Made with natural goodness, you can see and taste a difference in these delicious, canned sauce.
- SUSTAINABLY GROWN: From Italy’s #1 tomato brand. Since 1899, the Mutti family has shared its passion for Italian tomatoes and preserving one of nature’s perfect gifts at the peak of ripeness. Mutti has partnered with WWF in Italy for over 20 years to reduce water consumption and its carbon footprint.
- WELCOME TO THE BEST TASTING PREMIUM CLASSIC PIZZA SAUCE ON THE PLANET! Yo Mamma’s Classic Pizza Sauce is crafted with only the finest ingredients as well as no added sugar or preservatives. You simply will not find better-tasting sauce!
- INDULGE YOURSELF GUILT-FREE. Our fresh sauce is Preservative-Free, Paleo-Friendly, Low-Glycemic, and has No Sugar Added. Enjoy truly tasty sauce made with Whole, Fresh Non-GMO Tomatoes, Fresh Garlic. Our amazing sauce is Paleo Friendly, low carb, and compatible with the Whole 30 and Keto lifestyles!
- ENJOY A TRULY VERSATILE SAUCE THAT FITS EVERY OCCASION. Use our gourmet sauce on your favorite sandwich, sub, burger, or hot dog. A perfect condiment that will enhance any meal or dish!
- TRY THE BEST - YO MAMMA’S CLASSIC PIZZA SAUCE!! Yo Mama’s has created a superb sauce with the same care and wholesome ingredients that you enjoy with our tomato ketchups and salad dressings. We’re so confident that you’ll love it, return any unused portion, and we’ll give you a full refund!
- ADD TO CART NOW for a truly incredible culinary experience and keep an eye out for our Classic Ketchup and Spicy Ketchup as well as Yo’ Mama’s Foods entire line of tomato sauces and dressings!
- FRESH, REAL TOMATOES. Dei Fratelli Pizza Sauce starts with vine-ripened tomatoes picked hours before packaging and preserving. Other brands use paste and water. Using real tomatoes creates a delicious, fresh flavor for you to enjoy.
- CONVENIENCE WITHOUT SACRIFICE: Our Pizza Sauce brings you a delicious, rich gourmet pizza sauce without the hassle. Experience the true fresh-from-the-garden flavor that your family will love.
- RICH FLAVOR: Our Pizza Sauce is based on our long family recipe using touches of natural sea salt, olive oil, garlic, onion, oregano, and basil flavors for a real pizzeria-style experience.
- QUALITY YOU CAN TRUST: We control the process, from germinating our own seedlings, to determining perfect harvest time, and to assure each BPA-Free recyclable package is sealed for freshness. Non GMO Project Verified, Gluten-Free, Preservative-free.
- AMERICAN-GROWN PRODUCE. Our fifth-generation family company has our own farms and works with local family farms in Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan, growing our Dei Fratelli tomatoes from seeds into a mouth-watering, fresh-packed crop.
- One 14.5-ounce can of Happy Belly Pizza Sauce
- Non-GMO project verified, BPA non-intent
- Satisfaction Guarantee: We're proud of our products. If you aren't satisfied, we'll refund you for any reason within a year of purchase. 1-877-485-0385
- An Amazon Brand
- Pizzaiolo Pizza
- Pizza Sauce
- Tomato Sauce
- Pizzaiolo Pizza Sauce
- You Will Receive 5 Ounce Packages of Mrs. Wages Create Your Own Pizza Sauce Mix
- Enhance Your Fresh or Canned Tomatoes
- Pizza Sauce is the top selling brand of the fast growing tomato sauce mix category of the home canning market.
- Freeze It, Can It, Serve It. Makes Five Pints.
- All natural. Made with garlic, onion, spice and paprika
- No hydrogenated fats or high fructose corn syrup allowed in any food
- No bleached or bromated flour
- No synthetic nitrates or nitrites