Before you grab your cabinet’s jar of marinara sauce on pizza night, keep in mind that pizza sauce and pasta sauce are not the same things. Sure, they’re similar—and can be used interchangeably in a pinch—but there’s a distinction to be made.
Pizza sauce is essentially uncooked tomato sauce, but pasta sauce is often boiled for a more extended period of time to acquire a richer flavor. Pizza sauce has a vibrant, tomato-forward flavor due to the lack of precooking.
Everyone has a favorite pizza topping, a preferred type of pizza crust, and a strong opinion on whether or not pineapple should go on pizza. A significant percentage of people are enthusiastic about the sauce that sits between the crust and the toppings.
Let’s see some of the most popular sauces that are commonly used:
Tomato-based pizza sauces
A basic tomato-based sauce is always a safe bet. Many people like red pizza sauce, which is made with components like minced garlic, oregano, basil, onion, and some other herbs and spices. Some consumers may not even be aware that there are pizza variations available that do not rely on tomato-based sauces.
Basil, in particular, lends a typical Italian flavor to the pizza. If you have to add some more toppings, some mushrooms or other vegetables would be a delicious addition that doesn’t overpower the basil and tomato flavors.
Red Sauces with a Kick
To balance out the spiciness of the sauce, you can use toppings such as meat and pepperoni. Sausage, bacon, and mushrooms are also fantastic toppings for spicy pizza. If the sauce isn’t spicy enough for you, you can add some extra red pepper flakes for that desired kick!
Red Sauce with Peppers
“Peppery” can refer to a variety of things when describing a sauce. Pizza sauce commonly contains roasted cayenne pepper, black pepper, red pepper as well as red pepper flakes.
Different amounts of heat and complexity can be achieved by adjusting the ratios. Peppery sauces, like spicy sauces, go well with savory foods like mushrooms, chicken, bacon, and steak.
Sweet Pizza Sauces
Sweet pizza sauce gets its sweetness from tomatoes and additional sweeteners such as brown sugar, which works very well. Sweet tomato sauce is less prevalent than the other sauces since it doesn’t work as well with savory and salty ingredients.
Nonetheless, it is undeniably tasty and a favorite of many people all over the world.
Pesto is a delicious alternative sauce for a plain cheese pizza that still packs a lot of flavors! It’s made with garlic, olive oil, roasted pine nuts, parmesan cheese, a lot of basil, and also a touch of lemon. Pesto is ideal for folks who enjoy a flavor but don’t care for tomato sauces.
In recent years, people have experimented with pesto recipes, substituting walnuts for pine nuts, including spinach for added nutrition, garlic cloves, and more!
Alfredo Cream Sauce
Alfredo sauce is a buttery, heavy cream-based white sauce with lots of cheese and peppers. It goes nicely with artichoke hearts, olives, roasted peppers, steak, bacon, mushrooms, chicken, and sun-dried tomatoes, as well as other ingredients that can stand up to its strong flavor.
When their friends and family order pizza, white pizza fans make themselves known. If you haven’t tried Alfredo sauce on pizza yet, we strongly advise you to do so!
Some Other Delicious Alternatives of Pizza Sauces
If you are too bored from eating the transitional tomato-based pizza sauce, here are some other alternatives that you try:-
BBQ sauce doesn’t have to Be used only on Ribs. We could certainly write an entire page about the various sorts of BBQ sauces available. Still, many people prefer St. Louis-style, so for the sake of simplicity, we’ll overlook anything else.
Any ingredients you’d toss on the barbecue work well as toppings for a pizza with BBQ sauce. Chicken, ham, bacon, and pineapple are some of the most popular toppings that go with BBQ Sauce.
Hot Wings Sauce
People are crazy about hot wing sauce. You might think of the fiery red sauces we mentioned previously when you hear “spicy pizza sauce.” However, we’re thinking of a spicy wing sauce!
Butter, Hot sauce, spices as well as vinegar are all used to make a typical wing sauce. Mozzarella cheese, some chicken, and a blue cheese or ranch sprinkle are ideal toppings for hot wing pizzas.
Salsa Taco Pizzas with Refried Beans are also popular among people. This one isn’t for everyone but those who adore tacos. After trying this combo, they will love taco pizza even more.
Taco pizza is covered with cheese, Mexican-seasoned beef, diced tomatoes, and shredded lettuce. Moreover, it is topped with salsa and refried beans replacing any other customary sauces. It may appear strange at first, but it is delicious.
Many people in the Midwest can’t imagine their lives without a ranch. This condiment is primarily used as a dipping sauce for chips, vegetables, pizza, and crackers. Ranch-flavored chicken and bacon pizzas have grown quite popular in this part of the country.
The tanginess of creamy ranch sauce complements any pizza perfectly! If you’re not in the mood for a meat-lovers pizza, ranch goes nicely with a variety of veggie toppings as well.
It is understandable if you think mayonnaise with pizza is a weird combo, and they might not go well with each other. However, before you start rioting in the streets, you should listen to what we have to say.
Mayonnaise is one of those love-it-or-hate-it condiments, but there’s no denying that it’s a crucial component of one of America’s favorite sandwiches: The BLT. A BLT consists of tomato, bacon, and lettuce.
And inspired by this combo, many places make the BLT pizza, which is pretty straightforward to make. Spread mayonnaise on your preferred pizza dough, top with diced tomatoes, bacon bits, and chopped romaine.
After that, top with your favorite pizza cheese. Give it a shot, and you’ll be glad you did.
Frequently Asked Questions
What goes on first when baking a pizza?
On top of the dough, tomato sauce is usually applied first, followed by cheese, and finally toppings. This allows the cheese to turn brown and bubble while the toppings receive direct heat and crisp up.
Can Pasta Sauce be substituted with Pizza sauce?
Yes, with a few tweaks, pasta sauce may be substituted for pizza sauce. For a richer sauce, remove the surplus water (you can strain it) and boil it longer. If your spaghetti sauce has huge lumps, mix it or pulse it in a food processor to smooth it out.
What is the difference between pizza sauce and marinara sauce?
Pizza sauce is a silky tomato sauce created from raw components blended together. It doesn’t get cooked until it’s put on the pizza. Marinara sauce is made with other components besides tomato sauce and is simmered before being used in another recipe.
Hopefully, this overview of some of the most popular types of pizza sauces has broadened your horizons. You should try to innovate and experiment to produce new pizza flavors. Try out new things and have fun with your taste buds.
Check this also:
- Extra curdy, viscous texture ideal for binding and browning
- Enhances your dishes with a perfect balance of flavor
- Packaged in a resealable Container for freshness and easy access
- Ideal for busy commercial kitchens, cafes, restaurants, hotels, and more
- Rich, perfectly-textured real Mayonnaise thickened with extra egg yolks made from 100% cage-free eggs, oil, and vinegar; Gluten-free
- One 12 fl. oz. bottle of Kraft Chipotle Aioli
- Kraft Chipotle Aioli offers a bold taste as a quick, easy flavor enhancer
- Intensely flavored aioli contains real chipotle peppers for authentic flavor
- Thick aioli comes ready to use for convenience
- Rich flavor is perfect as a hamburger topping, or dipping sauce!
- WELCOME TO THE BEST TASTING PREMIUM CLASSIC KETCHUP ON THE PLANET! Yo Mamma’s Classic Ketchup is crafted with only the finest ingredients as well as no added sugar or preservatives. You simply will not find a better tasting ketchup!
- INDULGE YOURSELF GUILT-FREE. Our fresh ketchup is Preservative-Free, Paleo-Friendly, Low-Glycemic, and has No Sugar Added. Enjoy a truly tasty ketchup made with Whole, Fresh Non-GMO Tomatoes, Fresh Garlic. Our amazing ketchup is Paleo Friendly, low carb, and compatible with the Whole 30 and Keto lifestyles!
- ENJOY A TRULY VERSATILE KETCHUP THAT FITS EVERY OCCASION. Use our gourmet ketchup on your favorite sandwich, sub, burger, or hot dog. A perfect condiment that will enhance any meal or dish!
- TRY THE BEST - YO MAMMA’S CLASSIC KETCHUP!! Yo Mamma’s has created a superb ketchup with the same care and wholesome ingredients that you enjoy with our tomato sauces and salad dressings. We’re so confident that you’ll love it, return any unused portion, and we’ll give you a full refund!
- ADD TO CART NOW for a truly incredible culinary experience and keep an eye out for our Spicy Ketchup as well as Yo’ Mama’s Foods entire line of tomato sauces and dressings!
- One 54 oz. Heinz Ketchup, Sweet Relish & Yellow Mustard Picnic Pack
- Heinz Ketchup, Sweet Relish & Yellow Mustard Picnic Pack includes all your favorite condiments
- Tomato ketchup, sweet pickle relish and yellow mustard made with the highest quality ingredients
- Perfect for family picnics, barbecues, and camping trips
- Easy to squeeze bottles make serving clean and easy
- arugula pesto, arugula almond pesto
- No hydrogenated fats or high fructose corn syrup allowed in any food
- No bleached or bromated flour
- Brought to you by Whole Foods Market. When it comes to innovative flavors and products sourced from artisans and producers around the world, the Whole Foods Market brand has you covered. Amazing products, exceptional ingredients, no compromises.
- Premium pasta sauce made with authentic Italian cheeses.
- Product of Italy.
- No sugar added.
- WELCOME TO THE BEST TASTING PREMIUM CLASSIC PIZZA SAUCE ON THE PLANET! Yo Mamma’s Classic Pizza Sauce is crafted with only the finest ingredients as well as no added sugar or preservatives. You simply will not find better-tasting sauce!
- INDULGE YOURSELF GUILT-FREE. Our fresh sauce is Preservative-Free, Paleo-Friendly, Low-Glycemic, and has No Sugar Added. Enjoy truly tasty sauce made with Whole, Fresh Non-GMO Tomatoes, Fresh Garlic. Our amazing sauce is Paleo Friendly, low carb, and compatible with the Whole 30 and Keto lifestyles!
- ENJOY A TRULY VERSATILE SAUCE THAT FITS EVERY OCCASION. Use our gourmet sauce on your favorite sandwich, sub, burger, or hot dog. A perfect condiment that will enhance any meal or dish!
- TRY THE BEST - YO MAMMA’S CLASSIC PIZZA SAUCE!! Yo Mama’s has created a superb sauce with the same care and wholesome ingredients that you enjoy with our tomato ketchups and salad dressings. We’re so confident that you’ll love it, return any unused portion, and we’ll give you a full refund!
- ADD TO CART NOW for a truly incredible culinary experience and keep an eye out for our Classic Ketchup and Spicy Ketchup as well as Yo’ Mama’s Foods entire line of tomato sauces and dressings!
- ONE SAUCE VARIETY COOK - This sauce alone can be used for a variety of dishes without the need for multiple sauces.
- SAUCE FLAVOR - This sauce tastes similar to sweet chili sauce, but it feels like chili sauce mixed with Gochujang(red pepper paste).
- GOOD CHOICE FOR COOKING KOREAN FOOD - If you are interested in Korean food, this is what you were looking for. Various kinds of Korean dishes are based on soy sauce or gochujang sauce like this. Applicable on Tteokbokki(simmered rice cake), Korean chicken, Galbi, Bulgogi, and Dakgalbi. Just try it!
- GOOD CHOICE FOR COOKING KOREAN FOOD - If you are interested in Korean food, this is what you were looking for. Various kinds of Korean dishes such as Tteokbokki(simmered rice cake), Korean chicken, Galbi, Bulgogi, and Dakgalbi are based on soy sauce or gochujang sauce like this. Just try it!
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTED - It can be returned for a full refund if you are not happy with our product.
- Easy-pour 10 oz bottle of honey with a kick!
- Sweet-heat combo of honey infused with chili peppers
- Quick and easy way to add the perfect kick to your favorite foods. Drizzle it on pizza or wings, pair it with cheese, and add it to cocktails or tea
- Made with 100% pure honey, real chili peppers, and vinegar. Certified Kosher.
- All Natural, Gluten-free, and contains no artificial sugar or preservatives